Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Foot worse after PT

Posted by TressaS on 6/03/04 at 19:39 (151949)

went to the physical therapist again yesterday. he did the ultrasound for about 10 minutes and then for some reason massaged the area of the nerve for about another 10 minutes. I finally told him that if he was supposed to be making the foot feel better, it was not working. I have been in pain ever since. sort of like little elecric shocks. i canceled my PT appt for tomorrow. rescheduled my emg testing for monday. bought my first pair of birkenstocks today. the orthotics were making the foot worse. the bottom of my foot is so numb/tingly that when I went barefoot this weekend I fell down because I couldn't seem to balance on that foot since i couldn't feel the floor. tonight the foot feels of bad I just wish someone could cut it off. has anyone else had problems with physical therapy?

Re: Foot worse after PT

wendyn on 6/03/04 at 21:21 (151964)

Tressa, I absolutely cannot imagine someone massaging my Tarsal tunnel area. Why would he do that? Ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch.

chrisb on 6/04/04 at 10:16 (152000)

Yes Tressa I've had problems from massage therapy and have avoided it since. Some therapists believe that deep massage can free up nerve adhesions but personally it didn't work for me. It set me back days or weeks. I think if you check the stats in Scott's heeelspur book you'll find it says relatively few people on the list report being helped by deep massage. (best to check this, I think that's what it says)

TressaS on 6/04/04 at 10:28 (152002)

that's what the physical therapist said - that he was trying to break up any adhesions around the nerve. my foot is still hurting 48 hours later.

Terri on 6/05/04 at 09:38 (152081)

Tressa, my dr very specifically told me NOT to let the therapist massage this area! Ultrasound felt great when they went lightly over the incision site but they mainly went around and above it. Direct massage just aggrevates the crap out of the nerves. Don't let them do this again, nor use a TENS unit (electrical stimulation). It'll probably take awhile for your nerves to calm down again, but be patient, it will happen.

wendyn on 6/06/04 at 21:46 (152174)

Tressa, I think I'd be looking for a different PT if I was you.

Aimee C. on 6/07/04 at 00:37 (152191)

I did have some luck with massage, a gentle rocking type of massage. But once or twice they went too deep and it set me back. I think it really depends on the person and the type of massage, I wouldn't rule massage out for everyone.