Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dr ED DAvis DPM FROM WA

Posted by John Martello on 6/03/04 at 19:50 (151953)

Dr DAvis,

I thank you for your continued expertise. You are such a valuable resourece to us on the board and provide quality answers that are extensive.

Now I have to bug you again.

AS you know by now my situation with 8 months of FHL&FDL tenosynovitis with nerve studies showing MINIMAL irritation to the post tib nerve. No numbness,tingling or burning sensdations, just constant pain in the inner ankle, below the medial malleous. I know you reccommended the kirby skive with first ray cut out and i will try them.

I have had 2 cortisone injections on 11/20/03 and 1/20/04. What are my chances of rupturing the tendon with another injection? Would you reccomend it if i had only 4-6 dayys of very minimal relief for each shot? Also i totally rested my ankle/foot for 2 monrths with no change in pain level. Is it okay for me to walk on my foot without making it worse?
My doctor will not prescribe me any NSAIDS, because he says I am reaching for things to help me and what i need is his knife. He told me Advil will work just as good as Vioxx,CElebrex,Bextra,is this right?????? He also said he does not prescribe Neurontin. Whjo does?

Finally what is the success in your experience doing a TARSAL TUNNEL RELEASE WITH FHL, FDL TENOSYNOVEXCTOMY? 50=GOOD? 25=SAME 25=WORSE?

THANKS JOHN MARTELLO

Re: Dr ED DAvis DPM FROM WA

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/04 at 16:05 (152030)

John:
It depends on the type of cortisone used. They are drastically different -- some have no potential for a rupture and some considerable.

I have been in practice for 22 years and never have had to do all 3 procedures you list simultaneously -- I have done them individually.
My concern is the tarsal tunnel release -- it is not something you want to do if you are not actually experiencing true tarsal tunnel symptoms. I would get another opinion.
Ed

Re: Dr ED DAvis DPM FROM WA

John Martello on 6/05/04 at 20:06 (152131)

DR EDWARD DAVIS,,

What are true tarsal tunnel symptoms that would be valid to have this tarsal tunnel release surgery?

Thanks again

John