Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fibromatosis, heel spurs, plantar fasciitis

Posted by Mary D. on 6/03/04 at 21:55 (151967)

I've been diagnosed with bi-lateral heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, and plantar fibromatosis. Two doctor visits, two identical diagnosis. One wants to remove he fibromas while still smaill(pea sized) and try shock wave therapy. He feels it would be a waste of time to treat the heel spurs and a partial release of the fascia as long as the nodules exist on the arch. The other doc cautions against removing the fibromas until I can no longer deal with them, (golf ball sized???!!!) He proposes a partial release of the fascia and removal of the heel spurs. My question is, if I opt for the partial release,etc,,, is there a chance it could cause the fibromas to become aggressive in their growth or multiply? I've read that this is often the case when they are surgically removed.
Yes, I've tried orthodics, drugs, icing, etc. I stand on a concrete floor all night at my job. I'm hanging in there, but need to make some decisions quickly. By the end of the work week I can barely walk, and forget shopping, gardening, or anything that requires much walking or standing. The pain extends up the back of my calf, all the way to my knee by the end of the week. Please help. I've been researching ledderhose disease, and it's some pretty scary stuff. No one seems to agree on the cause, and most agree that you should put off surgery as long as possible.
Thanks,
Mary

Re: plantar fibromatosis, heel spurs, plantar fasciitis

carolw on 6/04/04 at 11:29 (152008)

I am certainly not an expert patient or physican but I do have a plantar nodule. Is was sore when I first notoiced it and for several months but I handled it with massage. I have had it for over two years and although I think it grew a tiny bit it also responded to massage and got smaller. It is still present though but does not hurt at all, altho my plantar fasciitis does act up. Regular, vigorous massage worked for my nodule. I use passive stretching and massage every night and always wear shoes! I would try massage for the fibromatosis and shock wave before I let anyone cut on my feet!

Glenn H on 6/04/04 at 12:55 (152017)

ASTYM, essentially an aggressive form of massage using 'scrapers,' can also be effective. The scrapers more aggressively aggravate stubborn and degraded tissue (lumps of scar stuff) and coupled with sensible stretching and thoughtful 'normal' foot activities, forces that tissue to remodel itself to its original purpose. See http://www.astym.com/

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/04/04 at 16:07 (152031)

Mary:
Injection therapy gets rid of the nodules most of the time.
Ed