Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Robert J

Posted by Dorothy on 6/04/04 at 01:08 (151975)

Robert J - Yes, the entirety of the article is quite fascinating, but for several different reasons. As for the reason that most impressed you, I agree completely that it is extremely interesting. Since reading your post, I have been searching for a post that appeared sometime in the first half of 2003, as I recall. I do not remember who posted it (wish I did because they should get credit) but it was either a link or a reprint of an article that had appeared in the Washington Post (I think). This was a report on research and regimen for severe back pain - active/'living'/acute - and involved herniated discs, people who had had surgery, and a wide variety of causes/conditions. The treatment was a very challenging, rigorous regimen of physical exercise, mostly weight resistance (I think).... Anyway, I can't find the post. Maybe someone else has it. I printed it out because I thought it was important - but I don't have the citations/dates, etc. The outcomes were good. I'll try to locate the copy I made. Again, it's about backs and not feet - but wouldn't you think the fundamental principle behind this idea would apply to feet?? We have a friend originally from Africa but who has lived in the U.S. for 30-40 years. His father passed away a year or so ago at the age of 102. What this father taught his son who passed this idea on to us one day when he was working through a health problem was 'never to lie down' no matter how sick one gets - keep moving; that it's the 'lying down' that gets you, not the disease. For what it's worth....

Re: To Robert J

Robert J on 6/04/04 at 23:19 (152065)

Dorothy --

Please forgive the delay. I can relate to the 102-year-old father who advised to never lie down. I also remember Buck commenting some months back that when you stop walking with PF, you are on a downward spiral. That has also been my experience. I will let you know how my experiment goes with increased exercise and a strengthening regime.