Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

I Need a Good Book

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 6/04/04 at 19:10 (152048)

Has anyone read any really good books lately? I'm ready to enjoy some time away from teaching & ready to let my feet rest. I just finished a good Sharon McCrumb mystery & can't seem to get caught up in the other books I have at home. I'm interested in just about any genre but Science Fiction. Thanks!

Re: I Need a Good Book

SteveG on 6/04/04 at 20:33 (152058)

Just finished a great memoir by the writer A. Manette Ansay, called Limbo. She was studying to be a concert pianist until a neurological condition forced her to change her life and her priorities. It's beautifully written and quite inspirational in its own way. I have not read any of her fiction, but she is obviously a writer of real merit. Give it a shot

Dorothy on 6/04/04 at 20:51 (152061)

List to follow when brain is cooler. I'm a reading fool! When not reading, writing; when not writing, reading - and vice versa and so on...
Do other things, too, but LOVE to read.
But now my eyeballs are on fire so reading less appealing.

Kathy G on 6/05/04 at 10:49 (152089)

I'm just finishing up 'Therapy' by John Kellerman but I wouldn't recommend it. It's too long and drawn out. Some of his other books are excellent if you like psychological suspense. I also highly recommend 'The Blue Nowhere' by Jeffery Deaver. Some of Deaver's books are too gory for me but not this one. It's the story of a computer hacker and brings you into the fascinating world of hackers, a world I didn't even know existed.

I also liked Sue Monk Kidd's 'The secret lives of Butterflies.' It's a good novel that touches on racial tensions in the south during the early sixties but it's got all kinds of aspects to it. The bonding of women, parental relationships, etc. Good book.

If you want a good, light series of books, try the Stephanie Plumm series of books by Janet Evanovich. Start with 'One for the Money,' and continue. They're a quick read and absolutely hilarious! When I worked at the library, it was the one series I recommended that everyone liked. Men, as well as women, like it.

I also liked 'The Red Hat Club,' which was particularly funny if you are anywhere in your mid-forties and up. I think you need bo be that age to find it amusing. I can't remember the author but your library would be able to tell you.

I tend to read psychological thrillers and mysteries so I favor books by Kellerman, Patterson, Michael Connelly, and that ilk. A great way to find books you might like is to go onto Amazon.com or Barnes and Noble.com and read about what the bestsellers and new titles are. They give you a summmary of the book and one of the sites includes a section that says, 'If you liked this book, you'd probably like......'

My bookclub is reading 'The Story of Pi' but I don't even know if I'll be able to get through it. I took it out of the library a few months ago and just couldn't get into it. Have you read 'The Girl with the Pearl Earring?' That was a good novel. Oh, and some of the books by Anita Shreve are great. Some of them are lousy, too, but for light summer reading, you can't beat 'The pilot's Wife' or my personal favorite, 'Fortune's Rocks.' I particlarly like the latter because I used to vacation in the area and I'm familiar with where it takes place.

I'm a library user so I go to the bookstore and make lists of books I want to read and then I go and get them at the library!

Happy reading!

Kathy in Ky on 6/06/04 at 15:39 (152162)

Thanks for all the titles. I'm going to our library tomorrow! I haven't read the Red Hat book but I'm in my mid-forties & have a friend who can't wait to get 'old enough' to be in the Red Hat society! Have you read The Songcatcher by Sharon McCrumb? I really liked that one & for light reading you might want to read Sue Grafton's alphabet mysteries, if you haven't read them, start with A is for Alibi. Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.

wendyn on 6/08/04 at 20:13 (152469)

Kathy, I just finished reading Shoofly Pie by Tim Downs. As long as you aren't afraid of bugs, it is a GREAT book.

(fiction about forensic entomology)

Kathy G on 6/09/04 at 08:53 (152506)

Sounds good, Wendy. I'll add it to my list!

wendyn on 6/09/04 at 13:25 (152544)

I also wrote down a bunch from here - always looking for good books!

Place on 6/10/04 at 10:46 (152639)

I have just finished All of Dan Brown's books and they were great. The best was the divi. code but all were very good mysteries!

john h on 6/10/04 at 12:55 (152655)

Try 'The Devinci Code'.

john h on 6/10/04 at 14:36 (152670)

I would not be john h if I had spelled he book title correctly. Should it not be 'The De Vinci Code'?

Place on 6/10/04 at 17:13 (152683)

Everyone's got to be a critic =). You understood what I meant and that is the point of communication!

David B. on 6/12/04 at 16:49 (152832)

This thing's pretty good, although the author's only selling it online right now and it deals with some pretty weird stuff.