Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Compression socks dangerous for tts?

Posted by Karl Everett Thomas on 6/05/04 at 19:56 (152130)

I think compression socks will cause compression to the tarsal tunnel area , because they are tight fitting so how can these actaulyy help one with tts??????

Thanks KARL

Re: Compression socks dangerous for tts?

Julie on 6/06/04 at 07:01 (152146)

I'll take a stab at this, Karl, based on what I know about the circulatory system. First, it was pointed out here recently that compression socks are thought to be of help to TTS sufferers if the cause of the TTS is a varicose vein in the tunnel.

Blood is carried away from the heart by the arteries, and is transported back to the heart through the veins. The veins have valves that ensure the blood flows only in one direction, and they have to do this against the force of gravity. In a varicose vein, the valve action of the vein isn't working properly, and the blood pools and collects in the vein. Compression can to some extent assist the return of the venous blood. I would guess that this is why compression socks help some (but not all) TTS sufferers.

Lying with one's legs up the wall (so that gravity assists the venous return) should also be helpful.

LARA on 6/06/04 at 17:31 (152164)

Julie's explanation is about how I understnand it. The only thing I would add is that there are people for whom compression socks work, but who are not known to have a varicose vein. The only reason I find this important to add is there might be people out there who think it isn't worth the effort unless they know they have a varicose vein. Many times (according to my doctor) they don't know there is a varicose vein until surgery or an autopsy.

However, it does make sense to me that if there is a known lesion or scar tissue, then you might be squishing what little space there is in the tarsal tunnel even tighter and cause pain. There certainly are people who report compression socks to be painful rather than helpful.

I don't know if I have varicose veins, and in fact I doubt it but wouldn't be shocked if they find one when I die (I'm not having surgery - life is good enough so that I don't have to risk surgery, infection and scar tissue). I suspect mine has more to do with congenital small tarsal tunnel combined with a very active life that somehow affects things. I find it unlikely (but possible) that myself, my mother and my grandmother all have only one varicose vein, going through the same spot in our body. It's possible of course, but I don't think TTS has been recognized enough for the medical profession to have almost all the answers yet. HOwever, I assume the compression socks work in my case by encouraging the fluids (blood or otherwise) up through the Tarsal tunnel area.

HOwever, all I really care about is that they gave me a life back! But it is interesting to figure out why because it is counter-intuitive.

Aimee C. on 6/07/04 at 00:07 (152183)

My physical therapist said that compression socks combined with elevating your feet push the lymph back up to the heart. With a reduction in fluid in the area, there's less pressure on the nerve.

Melissa on 6/08/04 at 16:02 (152439)

I had TTS surgery 11/03. I wore my compression sock until 5/04 for the most part. It was supportive and it also kept the swelling down in my foot. I would not have been able to make it without the sock. I slowly weaned off the sock and now I am 99% healed.

Re: Compression socks dangerous for tts? :Question for Lara

jeffery on 6/08/04 at 17:54 (152448)

Did the compression socks work right away? How long had you suffered from TTS before using the compression socks?

Re: Compression socks dangerous for tts? :Question for Lara

LARA on 6/08/04 at 19:48 (152466)

Did the compression socks work right away?

Yes and no. It was several years ago now, but as best I remember I could tell within a few days they were helping. I remember because they were helping, but not fast enough for me, so I put two socks on the worst foot to speed things up until it was too uncomfortable, then switched back to one sock.

However, it was several months to get where I have stabilized. HOwever, I went from crawling on the floor or being unfit for human companionship to what looks like a normal life if you don't notice I'm not playing tennis or going for long walks anymore - and only do so much housework in a day (which isn't much of a change from pre-TTS but now I have a good excuse : )

Once after I stabilized I took my son to Baltimore and did way too much walking even though I thought I was being careful. It took me a few months to calm things down again. I was suprised it was that long.

How long had you suffered from TTS before using the compression socks?

As best I remember about 3 years, with some remission. It turns out the remissions were primarily the result of enforced rest for reasons unrelated, or only tangentially related, to TTS, but I didn't realize the connection immediately.