Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

pain from my orthodic, help???

Posted by char B on 6/07/04 at 21:29 (152311)

O.K. I got new orthodics, they are less rigid ones than the ones I have had befor, they were the very hard ones, these are alitle softer yet firm, I just can't get them to feel good, I went back, my pod. just added more fill under my arch, still bother me, it's been 5 weeks now, I did finally get Arizona's, they are great, my feet feel great. Just can't get used to the idea of a slip on, my pod. always told me no slip on shoes, so it feels weird. I only can have my Brooks shoes with my orthodic on for about 3 hours then have to switch to my Arizona's. What should I do, these orthodics were 4oo.oo, I'm wondering if they will ever feel good. My hard orthodics were very comfy, but have read several times that they are not good for your feet, like walking onto concret all day, have had P.F. for 6 years , so thought I would switch after 6 years with hard orthodics. HELP?????

Re: pain from my orthodic, help???

Richard, C.Ped on 6/08/04 at 09:33 (152362)

My thinking is that if you have to add more to the arch on a new orthosis, it was not done correctly in the first place.

What is your foot type? Flat? High arch? Normal?

char B on 6/08/04 at 19:27 (152461)

I have a normal arch.
Also I don't get it, I have no pain first thing in the morning when my feet hit the floor, but boy about 3 hours on my feet and I have pain where I will actually start favoring my hurting side of foot. Also then if I sit to rest, then when I get up I have to go slow for the first 5 steps just to adjust to walk, than I'm fine, I walk like an old lady my daughter told me, I'm only 40, any ideas??????????????? Come 5:00 I'm shot for the day.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/09/04 at 07:52 (152496)

Hi Char,
One of these days I will actually read the whole post instead of just skimming over it. I did not notice that you stated the hard orthotics felt good. I wear hard orthotics with a cushion top cover. The only reason I may have said I don't like them is because many professionals like to start their patients off with the hard ones. Someone with extremely sore feet will take much much longer to get used to those, if at all. The hard orthotics are not for everyone.

The difference between standing on concrete and standing on the hard orthosis is that with the orthosis, your foot is being supported. Without the orthosis, you are basically standing like a tripod, on the first met head, fifth met head and the heel. No support in the other areas.

I say, if the hard orthosis was working fine, stick with that one. See if you can possibly return the new orthosis. It never hurts to ask.

Re: Night Splints

Westj on 6/09/04 at 15:22 (152558)

Just had my first injection in the heel, not a very pleasant experience. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with the Night Splint? Does it help?

Re: Night Splints

char B on 6/09/04 at 19:22 (152589)

So you got a cortizone shot? OUCH!!!!! I had one it lasted 6 months, was pain free, then pain came back, I did ice alot and massaged it often, thinking the pain wouldn't come back, it did, now I don't know what to do, get another shot, how many shots can a person get, would another shot work, maybe I do need another one to get that inflamation down.....................
Any advice///////?????????????

JenniferL on 6/14/04 at 00:36 (152920)

I had the same problem. I had a hard orthotic and after bunion surgery, the doc gave me a softer one. Can't wear it, I need the hard one. I also wear it with a soft cover on top. I also find this problem when I'm wearing sneakers- sometimes by the end of the day they are too soft. I think of it like a mattress... for me and my feet, a hard orthotic is like a hard, firm mattress! Definitely ask if you can return them.