Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sclerosing injections for nerve damage

Posted by lee on 6/08/04 at 20:23 (152472)

Nine montha ago I had surgery to remove the fractured lateral process of the talus and other damage to my right ankle. The surgery caused sural nerve damage which still causes me a lot of pain. I have used capsasin cream to reduce superficial pins-and-needles tingling with good success. My doctor has given me a series of injections into the scar that has helped to flatten it and reduce scar tissue. But the worst pain has not resolved. I have sensations that I'm being stuck hard with a needle that come out-of-the-blue anywhere from about six inches above my ankle all along the area behind the lateral malleolus down the side of my foot to my smallest toes. There is a spot of extreme tenderness behind the lateral malleolus.

At my doctor's visit today he brought up the possiblility of doing a series of sclerosing injections into the sural nerve to deaden the nerve and, along with it, the pain. He wanted me to research this treatment (he knows I love to do that!) and let him know what I want to do. I've found a lot of information about using this treatment for neuromas but nothing about using it for post surgical nerve damage.

Could you give me your opinion on this treatment for my specific problem? I'm so ready to be painfree and won't even consider a surgical alternative.

Re: sclerosing injections for nerve damage

Dr. Z on 6/09/04 at 08:23 (152502)

Hi

If this is a sural nerve problem then I would go with the local alchol,sclerosing injections. It could take up to seven injections for relief. Another treatment that can be used is cryotherapy. This is a procedure that freeezes the nerve. Both are used for sensory nerve problems such as yours

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/09/04 at 12:43 (152537)

If your doctor has any questions regarding the use of sclerosing injections for your problem, or if you need additional information the best souruce is Gary Dockery, DPM of Washington (state). Dr. Dockery did not 'invent' sclerosing injections but has certainly brought this modality to the attention of many, and he has significant experience using sclerosing injections for many different conditions.

lee on 6/09/04 at 15:50 (152564)

Thanks for your advice. So, there's not many complications other than numbness?

lee on 6/09/04 at 15:54 (152568)

Thanks for your reply. It's not that my doctor has questions, he explained it well to me. I do like to find out all I can and come to my own conclusions when it comes to these procedures. I dug around the 'net and found Dr. Dockery's email address. Would emailing him with my question be an appropriate thing to do, as I don't live even remotely close to Washington state? I've never done that sort of thing before and wonder if it would be okay.

Dr. David S. Wander on 6/09/04 at 16:13 (152570)

Emailing Dr. Dockery is certainly worth a try. The worst that happens is that he doesn't respond.

Dr. Z on 6/10/04 at 13:33 (152662)

The problem is that it might not work- meaning resolve your pain. If there is no relief then I would go with Cryotherapy. This is a long standing FDA approved procedure for your specific problem