Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe Pain after ESWT

Posted by rob m on 6/09/04 at 12:39 (152536)

My PF/heel spurs experience began about one year ago in both heels. It eventually subsided after using night splints, having physical therapy, ultrasound and finally being pain free after three cortisone shots.

Unfortunately, the pain returned about three months ago in my left heel. This time the pain was excruciating compared to my first introduction to PF pain.

It's now been two weeks post ESWT for my left heel. After the procedure I felt fine for two days, then the severe pain returned. I went back to my podiatrist a few days ago and he took x-rays of my heel. My heel was as inflamed as before the ESWT.

Walking is extremely painful, I am actually dragging my left foot because of the pain. Despite taking Propoxy N/APAP, taping, stretching, using orthotics etc. there has been 'no relief from this frightening pain. When I had the ESWT I was aware that this procedure may not always be successful, but did not expect to be almost crippled after the treatment.

Please, if anyone has any advice for me to somehow stop this pain, I would greatly appreciate it.

Re: Severe Pain after ESWT

Dr. Z on 6/09/04 at 13:18 (152542)

I would place you in a cast. I like a slipper cast due to the lack of ankle restriction

Jim on 6/09/04 at 15:51 (152566)

Could someone use a night-splint in place of a slipper cast to promote healing when inflammation is severe?

rob m on 6/09/04 at 17:32 (152577)

I hadn't heard of a slipper cast, but will definitely look into this. Thanks so much for your help.

Dr. Z on 6/09/04 at 18:42 (152584)

A slipper cast can and should give you a lot heel pain relief. Let me know if you need any additional information with how to apply the cast.

Dr. Z on 6/09/04 at 18:45 (152586)

If you are at the point that you are limping he will need more than just a night splint. A slipper cast will reduce the weight-bearing of your heel which is something that appears to be needed at this time

Janice N on 6/09/04 at 21:31 (152611)

I tell you my heel was swollen and very painful to the touch. My sister who is a PT said that if their goal was to cause acute inflammation they did a good job. I was dragging my foot down the hall for a while. I don't think some podiatrist even though we say how pain we have don't realize just how much pain we are talking about. Tylenol sure don't get it. I take pain med for my Fibromyalgia and had to increase the dose and how often and still it was agonizing. But it was like that before the treatment. If I was not getting some relief now I would have lost my mind. I already have so much pain. If I have to live with PF don't know what I will do. But with my own past experience most drs of any kind don't get how hard it is to live with chronic pain. My nightmare with Fibromyalgia has been gonig on 13 yrs now. all I needed was PF added to it to send me over he edge of pain. I pray I have more improvement the next six wks. And hope the other foot doesn't get any worse.
I wish I had someone to come in and stretch my foot out everyday. That would be nice. Janice