Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT

Posted by john h on 6/10/04 at 09:51 (152630)

The following link is a neat news letter 'About Walking' which is free. This week it covers ESWT both low and high power. To most of you it will be old news but I did find some facts of interest.

http://walking.about.com/od/heelpain/a/pfshockwave.htm?zIr=5

Re: ESWT

Dr. Z on 6/10/04 at 13:27 (152660)

John,

This is very strange. Dr. Zingas just published is the Dornier Epos Ultra study. This was a high energy study not a low energy study. I doubt whether Dr. Zingas ever made those comments. They don't make sense. The only difference between high and low energy isn't just heavy sedation and being done in an ASC. I get the feeling that there is some Dornier v Ossatron going on with this interview. Who knows.

Pauline on 6/10/04 at 22:33 (152705)

John,
This statement by Zingas I thought was interesting. 'However, much more work needs to be done in order to determine the best protocols and patient selection for the use of shock wave therapy.'

john h on 6/11/04 at 10:26 (152727)

For me I think ESWT should be given a go if after 6 months conservative measures have failed. That is if you can afforde it. It clearly does not work for all but does work for some and what price can you place on it if it does work. If some one would tell me they could absolutely cure me of PF I would mortgage my home if that is what it took. The downside is so miniscule from all the data I read it would not be a major consideration. The number of people who 'Die' from medical mistakes and hospital infections may approach over 500,000 a year in this country. I have never heard of anyone dieing from ESWT of the foot. This is of course a personal decision. Twenty Five years ago I had fragements from a disc floating around in my spinal canal in my neck. Pain was right up there at level 10. It was a no brainer to go for the fusion for me although this was somewhat of a high risk 4 hour surgery. All this from to much flying and one real hard landing in Vietnam. When it was over I went from level 10 to 0 pain and remain so 25 years later. Most things in life are a reward/risk venture and each of us ultimately make the decision on our own with the best info we can get.

john h on 6/11/04 at 10:56 (152735)

Dr. Z: She puts out some nice information but mostly for the lay persons who is not very informed. When it comes to serious medical data I would view her articles with some skepticism. She does have good information on shoes, walking, stretching, etc. Probably most who read her e-mail letters have never heard of ESWT so that is a start.Her name is Wendy. Could she be related to our Wendy from the far north who walks like a duck?