Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To; John from MN

Posted by Pete R on 6/10/04 at 14:14 (152665)

Apologies if you've been asked this before, though I don't think you have.

1. Were your symptoms classic pf with morning pain and pain predominantly in the heel or:-

2. Were you an atypical pf sufferer with no morning pain, pain in the arch rather than the heel etc

3. Have you thrown away all your orthotics

4. Do you consider yourself COMPLETELY cured i.e able to walk, run, walk barefoot etc like before your pf

Thanks again for your help. I think you have all given us some more hope.

Pete R

Re: To; John from MN

John from MN on 6/10/04 at 14:26 (152667)

Pete R,

My feet always felt better in the morning, as the day went on the pain exponentialy got worse. I had pain all the way from my heal to the ball of my foot. Everyplace hurt like hell.

I still have all my orthotics. I currently use Foot Levelers. I can walk barefoot without any pain. I really do not think I need my orthotics any more but my doctor recommends I use them. 2 months from now I am probably going to put my orhotics on the shelf.

My problem is I have gained 50lbs of fat since my PF problems started in March of 1999 and I need my orthotics to help my feet with all the new added stress by running everyday.

Hope this helps Peter R.

john h on 6/11/04 at 10:45 (152730)

John if your foot hurts like hell I am supprised you continue to run? Even the big guys like Sammy Sosa, Nomar Garg----- of the sox, and other million dollar guys stop when it hurts. I tried that running throught the pain and I have paid for it for 8 years.

Elyse B on 6/11/04 at 10:50 (152732)

I thought walking and running was a big no no with PF? I have given it up, should I go back? I am on week 3 of no running and walking

Julie on 6/11/04 at 11:41 (152747)

Elyse: don't run.

Julie on 6/11/04 at 11:43 (152748)

John H, John from Mn didn't say his foot 'hurts like hell'. He said it HURT like hell (past tense) before his cure. Now that he is cured, he can run.

At least that is how I understand his post and his history.

It sounds like you have made a great start with your physio. I'm pleased.

Pete R on 6/11/04 at 13:11 (152754)

John,

Have you ever had an MRI scan confirming PF or have the theraphists and Dr Sandell merely gone from your symptoms ?

Reason I ask is that my latest MRI is clear for PF but the doc's are scrathing their heads as to what elkse it could be.

Thanks

Elyse B on 6/11/04 at 13:28 (152755)

I am not going to but it is certainly frustrating as all of you well know. I am a newbie at this.

Re: To; Cured John from MN

John from MN on 6/11/04 at 14:19 (152763)

Pete R.

I never had an MRI. Every doctor I met confirmed in was PF. I could feel my feet burn from the tearing going on within my fascia.

If you can feel your fascia and it is not smooth but bumpy, it's PF.

Place on 6/11/04 at 18:37 (152783)

I also had an MRI and it showed nothing not even inflamation! I thought I was just going nuts but my sports med doc said that MRI's typically do not show anything for PF. He was not surprised, but I sure as was.

john h on 6/11/04 at 19:11 (152786)

As the thearapist was massaging in the area of my pain he asked me if I could feel the cruching as he massaged. I could not but he could.

john h on 6/11/04 at 19:14 (152787)

I do not think you can confirm PF with an MRI,X-Ray or any other device. This is one of those deals where the Doctor practices his 'Art' based on what you tell him about your symptoms and the other pieces of the puzzle he puts together.

John from MN on 6/12/04 at 09:24 (152814)

Thats good. The therapist should easily be able to recognize the bad tissues. As the weeks go on that crunching sound should go away if the therapist is doing his job.