Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel Spur

Posted by Leigh W on 6/10/04 at 15:05 (152674)

I began having pain in my foot/ankle area around Thanksgiving. I really was unable to pin point the exact area. Each week the pain got worse and I was able to decide that the pain was in my heel, on the sides. My doctor put me on Vioxx (of which made be very sick) and sent me to a Podiatist for the spur that showed up on my X-Ray. He then did a cortison injection series on both heels. Each series brused my feet to the point that I could not walk for three to four days. Then, each day for about three days, the pain would gradually get better. I would almost pain free for about five days, then gradually it would get worse again. Now he wants to do the shockwave treatment. My question is, since the pain is not on the bottom of my foot as everyone says it should be for my condition, could there be something else wrong and I would be waisting my time doing all this?

Re: Heel Spur

Dr. Z on 6/10/04 at 17:38 (152685)

Hi Leigh W

The pain should be where the plantar fascia inserts into the bottom of the medial tubercle. Sometimes you cause the pain with pressure from the side of the foot. I am sure that your podiatrist knows where the insertion is. Rule of thumb for ESWT

1. Pain when you first get up in the morning or when you sit for any length of time and then try to walk
2. Three failed conservative treatments
3. Six month duration of pain
4. Pain on palpation at the insertion of the plantar fasicia
5. Positive ultrasound reading for plantar fasciosis