Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Ray Charles will be missed!

Posted by marie on 6/10/04 at 16:51 (152682)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/talking_point/3796107.stm

If you want to add your tribute to the list check the link above.

My favorite was 'Georgia On My Mind'. I loved living in Georgia as a kid....I really missed it when we moved. When he performed that song it always brought back a flood of memories!

Re: Ray Charles will be missed!

Dorothy on 6/10/04 at 21:18 (152699)

Ever hear him sing 'Come Rain or Come Shine'?? Fabulous.

Kathy G on 6/11/04 at 10:07 (152723)

We went to see Ray Charles perform five or six times. He was always electrifying, a true musical genius. I did hear him sing 'Come Rain or Come Shine,' Dorothy, and he was amazing.

He lived a turbulent life and overcame a terrible drug addiction in the sixties.

His music will live on and thanfully, another whole generation of people my children's age who were exposed to his music by their parents, will continue to enjoy his music.

JudyS on 6/11/04 at 10:07 (152724)

It's tough to pick a favorite Ray Charles song - were there even any bad ones? I sure can't think of one!

Kathy G on 6/11/04 at 10:11 (152725)

I meant, 'thankfully,' but this stupid keyboard just doesn't seem to respond correctly. By the way, for years, I thought 'Georgia on my Mind' was about a woman! I knew all the words but I never thought he was saying, 'in Georgia,' I thought he was saying, 'Ah, Georgia.' I was so surprised when I discovered it was about the state of Georgia!:'> It works, either way!

john h on 6/11/04 at 11:04 (152737)

Ray was from Albany, Georgia. I lived there for 3 years flying those wonderful B-52's. I think one of my favorites was 'Hit the Road Jack'. He lost his eyesight at age 7. Never met anyone who did not like Ray Charles. I cannot even think of a song he sang that I did not like. He could sort of do it all. I think he had either 6 or 9 children. He had his next tour planned even though he had serious liver problems and it was clear it would never happen.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/11/04 at 11:09 (152740)

He was not really my cup of tea, but I do know what a great talent he was.

marie on 6/11/04 at 20:13 (152791)

Weren't you more into the big hair bands? :)

marie

Richard, C.Ped on 6/14/04 at 07:40 (152924)

You got me there. I am still stuck in the 80's and early 90's. I no do appreciate great talent even if I do not like they style of music. I really do not care for country music, but I saw Vince Gill on Austin City Limits. He blew me away with is guitar playing.

Rock on!

Richard, C.Ped on 6/14/04 at 07:41 (152925)

I meant 'I do appreciate'
oops.

Kathy G on 6/14/04 at 08:17 (152926)

I don't care for country music, either, Richard, and I give my husband a hard time because he has one of his car radio presets on a country station. He has a good time pointing out to me that many of late sixties and seventies songs I like have a country flavor.

I have to admit that he's right. The Eagles, Linda Rondstadt, Jimmy Buffett, Ray Charles, Crosby, Stills and Nash, America, Judy Collins,
Don McLean, Jim Croce, countless others - they all had country sounds to many of their songs. I just don't like the twangy stuff. I did try setting my radio to the a country station but I seldom liked anything they were playing so I put it back on one of my rock stations. Sometimes when I'm channel surfing at night, the country TV station will be playing a song I like. An awful lot of the country music these days is cross-over. Theres's a singer named Keith Urban, about whom I know nothing, but I did hear him the other night and the song struck me as being absolutely something you'd expect to hear on a rock station.

john h on 6/14/04 at 09:51 (152934)

Kathy Kathy how can you not like Johnny Cash's 'I'll Walk The Line' or any of Patsy Clines beautiful ballads and Honky Tonk Angel? I like anything La Boheme to Motown to Chopin. I do not like Heavy Metal or Rap. We need to meet in Nashville for a night at the opry girl. You have been stuck in that stuffy northeast for to long.

Kathy G on 6/15/04 at 10:25 (153052)

Oh, I do like Johnny Cash! And I have a Patsy Cline CD. I guess I shouldn't say I don't like country because I like some of it. But I must admit, the twangy stuff that someone like Loretta Lynn does, really doesn't appeal to me. And some of the twangy males.

You'd be amazed at the number of country music fans here in NH. In fact, one of the highest rated stations is a country station. Overall, though, I'm much more likely to find classic rock and some of the new stuff to be more to my liking.

I most definitely don't like Rap. To me, it's not music. I keep telling the kids that it's poetry recited with a beat in the background, so it's an art form, but not music. I guess it's generational. I keep thinking my reaction to rap must be similar to that of many adults to rock and roll when it first emerged. But my parents, especially my father who was a big music lover, liked rock and roll so I never encountered any resistance to it. I was also only six or so when Elvis came on the scene. I did wonder why my sister belonged to the Baboon fan club but my mother quickly pointed out that it was the Pat Boone fan club!

I must admit, I like some of the heavy metal but not too much. Remember, I was a child of the sixties so I harken back to Cream, the Doors and the like.

Richard, C.Ped on 6/15/04 at 10:59 (153066)

'I did wonder why my sister belonged to the Baboon fan club but my mother quickly pointed out that it was the Pat Boone fan club!'

Thats funny!!!!!

I am a metal kid. I like other stuff too, but there is something about a shreadding guitar.

No Rap. No, no, no.

marie on 6/16/04 at 22:53 (153225)

Baboon Fan Club!!!! That's the funniest! :))

I love all kinds of music. I am very open to it all. Tonight was blues night at the lovcal rock n' roll boogie bar and I got the great pleasure of watching Larry Garner preform from Baton Rouge, LA.

So I'll share this with you guys.......' I want to thank you for letting be myself again.'

rock on.....marie

JudyS on 6/17/04 at 00:23 (153229)

Marie I got to see my favorite local group kick off the summer season last weekend......they are the Cat-illacs and they do exclusively good old rock and roll. They are a ton of fun to see and listen too in small outdoor venues around town.

Rock & Roll is Here to Stay!

abc

john h on 6/17/04 at 08:47 (153238)

Glad to hear you are still rocking and rolling JudyS.

marie on 6/21/04 at 00:38 (153573)

That sounds like alot of fun! I just love live music! So glad to hear you got to see one of your favorites.

marie