Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

LUMBAR STEROID INJECTIONS

Posted by ALICIA H on 6/11/04 at 06:51 (152710)

I HAD A LUMBAR STEROID INJECTION ABOUT THREE WEEKS AGO AND ANOTHER ON THURSDAY JUNE 10TH IS IT NORMAL TO GAIN WEIGHT WITH THESE SHOTS. I HAVE GAINED 10LBS WITH THE FIRST AND HAVE NOT CHANGED ANYTHING ( WAY OF EATING OR MY ACTIVITIES) THEY SAY THEY CAN CAUSE WATER GAIN BUT THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT THIS ...I CAN'T BELEIVE THIS. IS THERE ANY WAY TO GET RID OF THIS NORMALY ... ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED

Re: LUMBAR STEROID INJECTIONS

Dr. Z on 6/11/04 at 07:53 (152713)

Hi

That is alot of fluid retention. You need to discuss this with your physician who gave you the lumbar injection. Very important to evaluate any kidney and or cardiac problems as a cause for fluid retention. Again that is alot of fluid

Re: LUMBAR STEROID INJECTIONS

Karen C. on 6/11/04 at 18:16 (152782)

Alicia,

I know that everyone has different reactions to medical procedures. I also have had numerous lumbar steroid injections over the past few years. I, also, have gained weight. I think partly due to less activity because of the pain in my foot. I questoned the doctor who gave me the injections about the weight gain, she told me that she did think the steroids played a role in the weight gain. I'm hoping that after surgery (June 29th) I will be able to at least walk for exercise. I know how frustrating the weight gain can be. I wish I had a good answer for you. Hang in there!

Karen