Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stress fracture?

Posted by Joanie S on 6/11/04 at 07:54 (152714)

Posted this in the Surgery files yesterday and had no response. I leave tomorrow for a week and wondered if anyone could answer my question.

Had Endo Plantar Fascia Release surgery late October. Finally started to feel better in March and started an exercise program. Lost 22 lbs and was thrilled. Unfortunately, Tuesday I was diagnosed with a stress fracture, yup, same foot right above my inside ankle. Doctor says probably not related but I'm not sure I believe him. He is the same ortho who did the surgery. I researched and found that these fractures occur when the muscles are weakened, which makes sense to me.

Have you heard of any problems like this? What kind of lower body exercise program could I do instead of walking that won't flex my ankle? Dr. didnt' suggest wrapping it at all, but it does feel better when I do. Am I liable to mess anything up further by wearing an ace bandage type spint?

NOT a happy camper and I'm traveling this week and have to pull luggage in the airport and be on my feet for a conference. Will see what I can do about compensating, but 6 more weeks of not being really mobile stinks.

Thanks all, you've really helped me over the past year!

Re: stress fracture?

Dr. Z on 6/11/04 at 08:42 (152720)

HI Joanie,

A stress fracature can occur with any pf release or with any increased activity such as an excerise program. Have you been checked for Osteoporosis??. An Air splint could give you alot of support if you can get one. If not go to the local drug store and get an elastic wrap that sticks to itself and figure eight the tape around the heel and ankle

Joanie S on 6/11/04 at 12:21 (152750)

Thanks Dr. Z!
I also saw my regular doctor today and she said the same thing. Just called my ortho and he said something that looks like a 'moon boot'? would definitely help especially since I'm traveling. Why he didnt' say that on Tuesday is ridiculous since I did tell him I was leaving Sunday.

Not due for a bone density test till next year, last one was normal.

Really appreciate your help, I'll keep you posted on how it goes. I'm pretty depressed because I feel just like last summer when I couldnt' get around pre-surgery.

Joanie S on 6/12/04 at 19:44 (152842)

The boot continues to help, did errands today with hardly a problem. Even the bruising looks better with only one full day with it on. Makes me realize that by walking on it for two weeks without any support, I was probably injuring it more every day.

Thanks again, I leave for my trip tomorrow and now am looking forward to it again!