Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

achillies tendonitis to operate or not to operate?

Posted by Walter G on 6/11/04 at 12:30 (152751)

I am a 37 year old man who has been suffering chronic pain in my left achillies heel for about 2 years now and am considering an operation to remove as much of the calcified bone that now surrounds the achillies and cause me much pain and imparement. Does anyone out there have any advice or can relate a similar experience? I would really appreciate this.

Re: achillies tendonitis to operate or not to operate?

Dr. Z on 6/12/04 at 08:34 (152812)

We use ESWT for this specific problem with very good results.

Debbi P on 7/03/04 at 10:09 (154443)

Dr. Z,
I have had achillies surgery, March 11, and STILL in pain! My tendon was coming detached from my heel..so the surgeon cleaned up the tendon and reattached it with 'spider pins' and also shaved the bone down on the back of my heel. Is it normal that after this time I would still be in pain? I wore a hard cast for 8 weeks...a moon boot after that, up until two weeks ago when I was released to tennis shoes. I have been off work the entire time fram and my employer is having a fit but I really cannot walk well enough to hold down my job! Do you have any suggestions or is this normal? Thanks!

Dr. Z on 7/03/04 at 17:08 (154469)

Hi

This type of surgery is very long, painful ( as you know) and can take six months to one year for pain relief. We use ESWT all the time for this problem instead of this type of foot surgery. Have you tried physical therapy? ESWT can still help you if there is dicrete pain at the insertion.