Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by Marty in SLC on 6/11/04 at 13:48 (152759)

Hi Marie,

Just stopped in to ask a question on the tts board and to say to you and Sharon W. Tell her hi. I dont think anyone else here these days will know me other thne you. I hope all is well with you !!! Best wishes.

Ps. My favorite by Ray Charles was 'America the Beautiful'

Re: hi marty

carynz on 6/11/04 at 16:27 (152773)

hi marty,

how are you doing? I check out the site every once in a while and happened to see your name today at the top of the board. I have just returned from a wonderful trip to New York City - my first visit and would go back again in a minute. New Yorkers are very friendly and we had lots of help when I stood still with my map in hand! Endured lots of miles on my feet but being near the water - sea air seems to help keep swelling to a minimum. Decided it was better to suffer in silence and wait till I got home. The worst was sitting for 5 hours in the plane from Vancouver to JFK even in Business Class! Hope all is well and beautiful in SLC - snow's all gone right.....

Any new developments about neuropathy - you were being tested I think or inquiring about symptoms, etc. when you had your surgery last year.

Take care
Cheers from Canada

Re: Marie

marie on 6/11/04 at 20:11 (152790)

Hi Marty! Sure nice to hear from you! I am doing pretty well these days...I count my blessings. Hope you are doing better. I'm sure Sharon will see your note and I'm sure she will appreciate your message.

best wishes marie

Re: Caryn

wendyn on 6/12/04 at 12:35 (152819)

Caryn - sounds like a great trip! Any pictures? Funny how sitting for several hours can cause so much discomfort...I've never really been able to figure it out.

carynz on 6/12/04 at 22:02 (152852)

hi there Wendy,

were you downtown for the Sea of Red parade! Saw pictures of Olympic Plaza wow what colour - reminded me so much of the 88 Olympics (I was a brand new mom back then). Yes lots of pictures. I'll find some good ones and try to do the shutterfly thingy!!! How's things with your husband and family.
I don't know why my foot/leg felt better being right at the water since I live on the west coast and am at sealevel anyways - strange! Maybe it was being closer to the water since we live about an hour inland. I know I suffer when the air pressure changes and it goes cool to warm/hot and vice versa.

wendyn on 6/12/04 at 22:55 (152854)

Caryn, I watched the rally during the week from our office building. There were about 30,000 people there, which is a few too many for me to want to join in (not a crowd person). There were more people there for the rally than there were for the medal ceremonies in '88.

I stayed away from the 'Red Mile' on game days too. Way too crazy for me, but the games were great - and it was a fun couple of months.

Family is very well. Hubby had first follow up appointment since surgery (he will be checked every 3 months) and all looks well. He does have at least one large kidney stone that cannot be blased with shocwaves (because of the location). He may have to have it surgically removed, but for now they are leaving him alone.

Suzanne D. on 6/13/04 at 08:51 (152863)

I remember you, too, Marty. How are things going for you these days? I hope you have improved and are feeling better!

'America the Beautiful' was my favorite Ray Charles song, too.
Suzanne :)

john h on 6/13/04 at 10:25 (152870)

Wendy: Where is this stone that it cannot be blasted? Mine was in the ureter and they pushed it back up into the kidney so I assume if it is in a ureter it cannot be blasted. They can some times reach up into the urter with tiny forceps and grab it. Does this not cause him a lot of pain? When I had my stone I was in a pain level 100 plus. Not known anything about stones and it was midnight on Saturday I decided to use a TENS unit. The great pain caussed by a stone is actually your ureter going into spasam. Placing an elecctical stimulation to this area is about as bad as anything you can do. WOW! This will sound bizarre but I though perhaps if I stood on my head I could get the stone to move. Glad someone was not taking pictures. I went into my back yard and walked around in circles for about an hour. At last I told my wife it is time to go to the emergency room. The first problem you face their is the line and then proving to them you are not just an addict looking for drugs. My daughter who works in the emergency room tells me the addicts have the symptoms down to a science. They even knwo how to produce a little blood in the urine. Keep me informed on how this kidney stone progresses as I have a real interest and wish him the best I would hope they have given him a prescripion for some powerful drugs in case the ureter goes into spasm. I always wondered what on earth you would do if you were on a safari in Africa and faced this? What about all the people with no medical care in third world nations with no care? Sir Issac Newton died from a kidney Stone in the 1700's as of coure they did not know how to treat them. God bless you and your husband as unless you have had to deal with a kidney stone it is really hard to grasp. If a pilot ever develops one he is grounded for ever for obvious reasons.

wendyn on 6/13/04 at 13:12 (152887)

John, from what I understand - the stone is still in the kidney. It has not tried to move into the ureter, so it doesn't cause him any pain. I think it is somehow 'deep'? in his kidney, and because they can't see it on an xray (even with dye) they can't blast it.

Yes, the danger is that we will be outsomewhere (like camping in the mountains) and this thing will go on the move.

Then he could be in an emergency surgery situation, which is never as good as a planned surgery.

john h on 6/13/04 at 14:31 (152892)

Wendy I thought most if not nearly all kidney stones wound show up on an x-ray. I think most have a calcium component which should show clearly on the x-ray. From my understanding when I had my first one (I have had two) it was in the ureter and they had to push it back into the kidney. Once they start blasting it is all over the place in the kidney as they continue to blast it into ever decreasing particles until it is finally almost dust like. They have to refocus the beam after each blast as the beam like ESWT is very narrow. The second one some several years later caused great pain for about 3 hours and then stopped for whatever reason. About 1 week later I passed the stone. During that week I would not have thought about leaving town and I carried around a prescription of a strong narcotic just in case. A buddy of mine was driving between Chicago and Little Rock with his wife when he had a kidney stone attack. He said it was the worst 12 hours of his life as he laid in the back seat. I have read of people who actually develop hundreds of stones a year for some reason. I cannot imagine what there life must be like. I have an older neighbor in his 80's who has had 4-5 this year but they seem to cause him no pain but he does have to go to the hospital to have them removed one way or the other (non surgical). He never walks anymore and is in poor. health and I would guess non activity is part of his problem.I am sure your husband has been told to drink a lot of water as a life style as that seems to be the best thing you can do. I hope gator aid works because I sure drink a lot that. I guess it has been 5 years since I had the problem and I hope I have seen the last of kidney stones. Supprisingly there are millions of cases each year.

john h on 6/13/04 at 14:35 (152893)

Another thing about dye and the x-ray. My daughter does a lot of these. If the stone is in the urter and they insert the dye during diagnosis it can cause further major pain and the x-ray tech will so advise you. They dye rapidly is excreted by the kidney and forces the stone in many cases to move. This did not happen to me fortunately.

Re: hi

Marty on 6/15/04 at 12:38 (153089)

Hi Suzanne,

I'm a bit suppressed some remember me, I wasn't really a big participator here. I'm ok but not really if you know what I mean. I still trying to recover from my surgery that was like 16 months ago. I Pod really messed me up. Oh well so much of that. I do think I can work out what has happened to my nerve so I'm just trying to positive.

How are you doing? I hope well.

Thanks for saying hi !

Marty on 6/15/04 at 12:40 (153090)

Thanks Marie, I hanging in there I guess. I too count my blessings though it's hard some days. I will try to stop by from time to time and say hi. I just have a hard time coming here for some reason even though there are the best people in the world here.

Take care,

Marty on 6/15/04 at 12:52 (153092)

Hi Carynz! Sorry it took me a few days to get back here.

I'm so glad you had a great trip!! A co-worker just left yesterday for NY and I wished it was me a bit. I have never been there. I have a son in boston on a mission right now. He likes it. Utah is great; we do still have snow at the tops of the mountains. Snowed last weekend up there.

There's no question I have neuropathy but no one knows what to do about it. I'm hanging in there with that pretty good most of the days. Some night it's hard to sleep though. I'm still in a real battle with the foot I had surgery on. The nerve was somehow damaged during the surgery and the pod is not admitting it. Can't blame him even though I'm not the kind to take legal action he doesn't know that. He's one of the best pod's in Utah and something happened and if he would say that and then say lest do try to find out what, how and why I would be in a better frame of mind. I don't know where to go with that right now.

So nice that you remembered me Carynz!

Take care,

Dorothy on 6/15/04 at 14:25 (153099)

Marty -
I have been reading your posts and am sorry you are having these problems. May I ask and/or suggest this as something to consider - there is a form of light therapy that is supposedly quite helpful for some, but not all, people with neuropathy (diabetic and otherwise). The light therapy that is usually mentioned is called Anodyne Light Therapy. It was tested by NASA and other studies and is offered by podiatrists and (I think)chiropractors - and maybe other doctors as well. Maybe this would be helpful for your further healing. Best wishes -

Necee on 6/16/04 at 01:08 (153147)

What part of Canada do you live in?
We were in Prince Rupert, BC recently. Our cruise ship stopped there in route back to Seattle from Alaska. I thought the people were extreemly warm and friendly.

After taking a whale watching excursion, we decided to walk through town, everyone we encountered was so nice! Even with strangers invading their peaceful environment, they didn't seem to mind. We stopped and talked to a couple who was working in their yard, after chatting for a few minutes, we exchanged email addresses. I hope we can continue to keep in touch with our 'new friends' up north.

Anyway...I was just curious to know if that is near where you live.

carynz on 6/16/04 at 22:16 (153218)

hi Necee,

we live about 1 hour east of Vancouver. Prince Rupert is northern BC and about 12 hour drive through the interior and overnight ferry is 15 hours on the Queen of the North through the Inside Passage, the same way you cruised and the ferry uses the same port. It's the gateway to the interior and wildlife live there that don't live anywhere else in BC.

Glad to hear you enjoyed your cruise - have y ou forgotten I gave you so much information prior to sailing!

Necee on 6/17/04 at 17:23 (153332)

Thats right Caryn, you sure did give me tons of info....I talk to to many people that I had forgotten it was you who gave me all the tips, etc.......sorry about that.

carynz on 6/18/04 at 10:52 (153393)

not a problem. glad to see you had a fabulous time. Did Norwegian end up giving you an upgrade as they usually do? What did you think of Misty Fjords and Sawyer Glacier - isn't that a spectacular sight. I stillthink that cruising to Alaska is the most magical of all and the scenery something you don't often see on other cruises.

would you go again?