Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

plantar fibromatosis, plantar fasciitis, heel spurs combo

Posted by Mary D. on 6/12/04 at 14:58 (152828)

I'm a 46 yr old female. On my feet all night at work, concrete floors. I've been diagnosed with bi-lateral plantar fasciitis, plantar fibromatosis, and heel spurs. Two doctor's opinions, same diagnosis. They diagree on treatments. One wants to perform a endoscopic partial fascia release, and remove the heel spur. He advised leaving the fibroma alone at this time. The other tells me it is a waste of time to treat the heel spur and fasciitis muscle without removing the nodules. (pea to marble sized) 2nd doctor says to remove them while they are still small. I'm worried about the recurrence rate if removed. I'm also worried about the fibromas growing agressively should I have the partial release and remove the heel spur. I've tried orthodics, icing, drugs, etc. I need help. Is there any difference between 'ledderhose disease', 'plantar fibromatosis', and 'dupreyn's contracture' or are they all the same thing? and what is the deal with this ' Vikings passing along a gene to the Europeans' stuff I keep reading??? What did I ever do to the Vikings!!! I don't have this stuff in my hands yet,,,,and boy am I glad I don't have a penis!!!
We need a telethon.
Thanks for the help
Mary

Re: plantar fibromatosis, plantar fasciitis, heel spurs combo

Dr. Z on 6/12/04 at 15:49 (152830)

Hi

Do you have what is called first step heel pain? Is there isolated pain at the insertion of the plantar fascia?

Mary D. on 6/13/04 at 01:23 (152858)

I don't know what you mean by '1st step heel pain'. I have pain in the backs of my heels..usually when walking any distance. I also have pain in the arch of my foot. Swelling and pain on the inside of my arch and side of foot. By the end of the week, the muscle that runs up back of my calf is also sore and painful from the heel to the knee. That muscle feels tight. When I first get home from work in the morning ....and sit down....take off my shoes,,when I then try to get up and walk,,that's when I have the most pain. I would call that the '1st step hop', cause I usually hop on one foot up to bed, to elevate and ice my instep. I'm not taking anything for pain, and have found that icing and staying off my feet when not at work help the most. I'm really struggling at work right now. I'm not making anything worse by putting off surgery and trying to continue to work while researching this am I? I have put in for a week of vacation time in a couple weeks. I plan on 'getting my house in order', setting up a temporary bedroom downstairs,etc. Am I risking anything by waiting a couple weeks to get a 3rd surgical opinion?

Dr. Z on 6/13/04 at 09:01 (152866)

Hi

Yes you do have first step heel pain. Has ESWT been discussed with you. This is used for chronic insertional plantar fasciitis such as what you have

Mary D. on 6/14/04 at 11:46 (152954)

Yes, Doc #2 wants to remove the fibromas and treat the plantar fascia with ESWT.