Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Doctor..

Posted by dud on 6/14/04 at 08:55 (152927)

I'll try to make this brief...I am getting very frustrated with my physician and hope someone can help!!

I am 30 year old male and have been very active my whole life. I ran cross country in HS and continued running on a regular basis until 1999. I did not run again much until Summer of 2002 when I was training for Marathon. I thought I was 18 again..and overexerted myself and in 10/2002 I began having classic PF symptoms. I was diagnosed with PF by my podiarist in 12/2002.

He gave me custom orthotics, stretching, anti-inflammatories..and nothing worked. I would continue to have severe heel pain in both feet. This went on until 02/2004 when Doctor tested for Tarsal Tunnel. I had an ultrasound which showed both of my fascia measuring at 10mm. A nerve conduction test was negative for Tarsal Tunnel. (These tests were performed by another podiarist..not my own)

I had ESWT done on 06/02/04 (Dornier Epos)..and the first week my foot felt better. My heel now feels better but I am now having classic tarsal tunnel symptoms in my foot My foot is numb and I am having the 'pins and needles' sensation.

Here are a few of my questions..

Because my fascia was measured at 10mm..did I definetly have plantar fasciitis..or could I have had Tarsal Tunnel the whole time.

Can a bad case of PF lead to TTS?

If I did have Tarsal Tunnel..and the ESWT was done..how does this fit in with the treatment of Tarsal Tunnel?

Should I go see an orthopedic surgeon and get a 2nd opinion on my feet.

I want my life back and it is very frustrating...

Sorry to ramble but thought someone might be able to help!!

Re: Question for Doctor..

SteveG on 6/14/04 at 10:08 (152936)

dud - I am not a doctor, but 10mm is definitely indicative of PF. The usual range is between 2.5 and 3.5. Mine as 4.0 before my last EWST treatment. If fact, you have one of the thickest I have heard of. My pod told me he had a woman with an 11.

It sounds like your doctor already suspected TTS before the shockwave, and that's why he sent you for the test. I thought the TTS may well come from the shot, since I thought the symptoms appeared after you got it, but now I see that's not the case

To your other questions, ESWT is not used to treat TTS. I would see another doctor and get another opinion.

Julie M on 6/14/04 at 15:19 (152971)

I am battleing plantar fasciitis. Not fun at all. I have 3 children ages 6 and under and resting my foot seems to be a joke. Is there a heel cushion that is better than another for some relief? I also am confused at what direction to look at in regards to the splint, night time, or is there one that should be ward all day? I am getting tired of hurting and am tired of taking so much mortrin. My stomach doesn't like that.

Thanks Julie

Terri on 6/26/04 at 09:37 (153972)

Don't know if any of this will help, but I'll repeat other's comments from the TTS message board:
- ESWT has been said to cause or aggravate TTS

- ESWT is not to be used for TTS

- A negative reading on the nerve conduction test is sometimes a 'false negative' for TTS. You can still have TTS, the test should be repeated by a neurologist.

- A sports dr seems to be the best type to see as they deal with foot injuries and conditions more than other pod's.

Again, I'm just quoting other's comments, I am not a dr but do suffer with TTS in both feet and had surgery on the right this past Jan. Two pod's I've seen have both told me that TTS can lead to PF, but I don't know if PF can lead to TTS. That's something for the dr's to answer.

Good luck in your search for treatment and relief. Come over to the TTS board sometime and read some posts there. You may find some of your symptoms are the same and can see what we do to help ourselves.