Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Biomechanical problems & TTS/PF

Posted by Renee M. on 6/14/04 at 08:58 (152928)

I have always 'walked funny' -- for as long as I can remember people told me I walk on my toes. When I was a kid I had to wear 'special' shoes for walking with my feet turned inwards, which I got over at about age 5 or 6, but even now when I walk I never completely come down on my heel. Last year after progressively worse pain in the heel area I went to a podiatrist and after a series of tests including nerve conduction tests I was diagnosed with TTS and plantar fasciitis in both feet. The condition is much worse in my right foot and I just had surgery (TT release + plantar fasciectory) on it 2 weeks ago. However, the plantar fasciitis in my right foot was medial, and on my left foot is lateral. Is this strange? Although my gait analysis showed that I mildly overpronate, somehow I feel that my biomechanical issues are greater than they appear. Are there specific tests I can take or can you offer any advice on how the biomechnical problems can be corrected? Thanks.

Re: Biomechanical problems & TTS/PF

Terri on 6/17/04 at 19:22 (153341)

Renee, it would be interesting to find out how many of us with this have had a 'funny' walk or other biomechanical issues since birth. Wonder if anyone has ever investigated this before to see if there's a link??

I was born severely pigeon-toed, to the point I had to wear braces from 3 months to 18 months, only allowed out 1 hour/day. After 18 months, I still had to wear them at night until I was 3. Even now, I turn my feet in while walking unless I concentrate on my gait. Lying down, my feet turn towards each other instead of outward. I don't overpronate but I do have a minor curvature of the spine (lower back). Never could ice skate on single blades as a kid because my ankles were too weak to support myself no matter how tightly the laces were done.

Would like to hear from others on the board to see if they have similar backgrounds.

Re: Biomechanical problems & TTS/PF

Debbie C on 7/08/09 at 20:00 (258740)

I have been pigeoned-toed since birth and my parents were told to put my shoes on the opposite feet to correct the problem! It didn't work. I also have severe pronation. I have not had any surgery but have been to many podiatrist and had many different types of orthotics. One podiatrist even filmed me walking to keep for reference material. I have had my feet taped, which caused huge blisters which were torn open removing the tape. Now at age 54, my left hip is giving me much pain and beginning to have increased back pain. Would love any recommendations concerning help to alleviate the pain. I currently wear orthotics and mainly New Balance 1123 tennis shoes. Any next steps to stop the progressing pain issue would be greatly appreciated.