Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

question for Richard C.Ped...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 6/14/04 at 16:16 (152972)

Richard, first of all, thank you for the wealth of information you provide for us here and for the pleasant way in which you always give it! You are appreciated.

Here is my situation - I say this cautiously, but I feel I am virtually healed from plantar fasciitis. I still have very stiff feet after sitting for awhile but have no pain now, thankfully. I continue to do Julie's yoga stretches daily and never go barefoot.

For three years now I have worn nothing but Birks or SAS lace-up shoes with SuperFeet inserts. I decided recently to order a pair of Dansko sandals which were on sale for $40. They arrived today, and I love the rocker motion of the shoe; walking seems almost effortless! I like the lightweight feel of the shoes and yet the supportive soles. I like everything about them EXCEPT the fact that there is no visible arch support! The shoes feel flat in the arch area, and in a neutral position, I can slide my finger in the space between the shoe and my arch.

I have worn them around the house a little today, and they do not hurt at all, but it feels 'strange' to not have that arch support. I am afraid to wear them for fear that my PF might return.

In your opinion (and I know you would need to see my feet to be able to say for sure), will it hurt my feet to wear them? Should I try to add something in the arch area? Now if I just lived near you, I would bring them right over as I'm sure you'd know what to do to them to fix them right up!

Now why can't there be the 'perfect shoe'?! :) These would be just about that if there were some arch support.

Thanks for your time,
Suzanne :)

Re: question for Richard C.Ped...

Dorothy on 6/14/04 at 23:39 (153006)

Suzanne D. -
I'm 'eavesdropping' on your questions to Richard and will throw in a couple of thoughts from the sideline on this topic. You may or may not recall that I have praised Dansko shoes from the beginning here and I have worn them for years. This 'rocker' style is relatively new for Dansko. I do wear that style some, but to me the very most comfortable and supportive Dansko is their original which has great arch support and just feels so good to the feet. In my humble opinion as one who 'knows' Danskos, the rocker style is ok for short-term wearing, but for long-term wear (in fact, all day is ok - doctors and chefs do it) their original style is wonderful. It has the arch support you are describing and it just nestles right up to the arch and helps it out! The original style is most commonly associated with their clogs, like the 'Professional', but there are some sandal and slightly less utilitarian styles in that design, too. I have worn a sandal called the Magrete for years, for example, that is in that design. Ok - back to you and Richard. :-)

Suzanne D. on 6/15/04 at 07:34 (153018)

Thank you, Dorothy! I should have realized that all Danskos would not be the same since I know that all Birkenstocks don't have the same footbed. I remember reading posts in which you spoke well of Danskos and have read the same from other posters. I found this pair('Liv')on sale at Sierra Trading Post and thought I'd just give them a try. (I could not see the arch area in the picture, unfortunately.)

After writing my question to Richard last night, I walked around the house a little more in the Danskos. Earlier in the day they felt fine when I tried them for awhile, but late last night (after two hours at Vacation Bible School teaching the preschool class :)), they did not feel as good. In fact, my knee begin to hurt, and my arch felt uncomfortable, so I took them off quickly. I put my Birks back on and went to the basement to put in some laundry, and the pain went away. So I think I have about answered my own question about keeping them!

You know how you just start wishing you could wear some other kind of shoe; that was the mood I have been in. Perhaps I can locate a store which carries Dansko shoes, and then maybe I can find one with enough arch support for my feet. Would you happen to know of any website which explains/describes the models of Dansko shoes in terms of their footbed differences?

Thank you for your help with this, Dorothy!

susan o on 6/15/04 at 08:04 (153021)

Suzanne, can't answer for somewhwere that exlains the different footbeds, Tho I'm interested in the same thing. But check out the Zappos websie. They have pictures of the shoes they sell from numerous viewpoints, and that is somewhat helpful. Also, there are usually customer reviews that might help answer some questions. At least it is something to go with.
I'd like to find ANY pair of shoes that is comfortable! VBS with preschoolers?! Sit down and put your feet up girlfriend!

Suzanne D. on 6/15/04 at 09:17 (153036)

Thanks, Susan, for your reply. The more information we can find, the better, I always think!

Yes, preschoolers can be tiring! :) (Especially when they tend to step on your feet!)

Dorothy on 6/15/04 at 10:24 (153051)

I would try: http://www.dansko.com and http://www.danskooutlet.com and http://www.footprints.com and http://www.theclogstore.com and http://www.pegasus.com and http://www.zappos.com . Even if those sites don't show the info. you need, most /all of them will respond to your e-mail questions. Zappos and Footprints are very good about answering questions. I have never directly asked Dansko questions like this, but I would guess they would give you info like that.

Dorothy on 6/15/04 at 10:26 (153053)

Oh, I forgot to add: you said you could not see the arch area in the picture....
When you look at shoes at Zappos, the photos can be manipulated better than on most websites so that they give you a variety of views. You might be able to see the arch a little better - but you will still probably need additional information to be sure.

Shoeguy on 6/15/04 at 10:37 (153057)

http://www.dalesshoes.com or http://www.shoematic.com has great comfort shoes that are good for your feet. Most styles have long lasting arch supports such as ecco, mephisto, new balance, merrell, softspots, and many more! This is a great site.

Re: Where to find good shoes

Shoeguy on 6/15/04 at 10:40 (153058)

http://www.dalesshoes.com or http://www.shoematic.com has great comfort shoes that are good for your feet. Most styles have long lasting arch supports such as ecco, mephisto, new balance, merrell, softspots, and many more! This is a great site. The store that runs the website is located in Daytona Beach Florida. If you ever in the area I highly reccommend you checking it out the staff is very knowledgable about shoes and foot problems, and will sit down and try on dozens of shoes with you, to help find the one that can help your problem. You can also e-mail questions throught thier web site. Thanks!

Richard, C.Ped on 6/15/04 at 10:54 (153063)

Wow...all these responses. Who needs me?? LOL.

I have found that many shoes say they have 'arch support'. Many do not. They only have an insert with a little raised edge that looks like support, but you can push it down with your pinky finger. I see many medical professionals that wear Dansko's. I have made tons of orthotics to fit inside them...so that is possible if needed.

Dansko's are good. So are Birks.

The thing with plantar fasciitis is that it is a stress and overuse injury. Its a weird injury. It can not flare up for a long time, then all of a sudden....WHAM...it hits you. It can also just give you a prolonged, irritating, dull ache.

If they are working great...thats wonderful! Just take it easy and dont over do it.

Also, be careful about links posted here unless you know the poster is honest.

Suzanne D. on 6/15/04 at 12:35 (153086)

Thank you for your reply, Richard. I agree with you that many shoes say they have 'arch support' but really don't.

I think in the morning I will send these Dansko sandals back since they do not have the arch support I have become accustomed to which has, I feel, helped in my recovery from PF. It is just not worth the risk of having PF flare up again. I'll just stick with what is working.

Thank you again,

Suzanne D. on 6/15/04 at 12:37 (153088)

Thanks for the links, Dorothy! I replied to Richard, below, that I think I'll send my Dansko sandals back in the morning. It's just not worth the risk of having PF flare up again.

I think I'll also e-mail Zappos and Footprints and ask about which Danskos have the most arch support. I'll let everyone know any information I receive.

lauriel on 6/17/04 at 15:35 (153316)

Suzanne, I am in the same boat as you. I wear relgiously Anatek Sandals. it is the only brand I found to hit my arch just right. Ive tried a lot of shoes clarks, SAS, etc, the list is long and I have wasted a lot of money, that dont have the arch and they just dont work. last week I bought a pair of SAS sandals, its thier first one with arhc support. when I tried them on at the store, they were so comfy. Well after wearing them for 2 days I was excruciating pain from my PF it just didnt hit right.

I also found Naot brand and have a pair of slip on clogs. they also have a removable footbord for orthodics, I just got my first naot sandals yesterday from Zappos.com they feel pretty good.

Another one to look at that has a rocker is Wolky, their arch is a little too high for me though.

Suzanne D. on 6/17/04 at 17:37 (153334)

Thanks, Laurie, for your helpful tips about different shoes! It's nice when someone understands, isn't it?

I used to wear (before PF) SAS slip on shoes while teaching school and SAS sandals for dressier occasions. I wore a pair of SAS sandals to my daughter's wedding last year and made it o.k. but wouldn't want to wear them on a regular basis because of the lack of support. What is the name of the SAS sandals you bought that have the arch support? Maybe I can try them.

I have just recently read here about Wolky shoes, and I think your mention of Anatek sandals is the first I have heard of them. Did you order them online?

Thanks for understanding and your comments! Good luck to you, Laurie.

JenniferL on 6/17/04 at 21:27 (153347)

wait! don't return the shoes!
i went to a local shoe repair guy last week with a pair of dansko shoes (not clogs) and he said he can put in an arch for $8.00! i am going to take all my old shoes to the shoe repair guy!!! i never thought about going to a shoe repair.. they've gone by the wayside these days. they can also stretch shoes, of course, and probably do other things to all those uncomfortable shoes we all have lying around...