Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Looking for some feed.

Posted by Marty from SLC on 6/15/04 at 14:25 (153100)

Not sure if this is the right place to post but what the heck. Please comment I need feed back.

I had TTS and PF done at the same time 16 months ago and still have some complications.

Here's my question: Is there anything that might of happened during the surgery to cause extreme pain and swelling in the ball of my foot from the moment the medication wore off to this day.

I don't know if this will help but if I push lightly on the top of my foot in the arch area between the first and second bone the ball of my foot start buzzing like a low voltage shock like I have a nerve pinched or something. Could the release caused a collapses of some sort in the arc?

I had a pod here locally tell my friend that went in that if I had tts/pf surgery I should have no pain in the lower part of my foot now. Is this true????

I'm not looking to take legal action or anything like that just to find out what might have happened.

Please answer.

Thanks so much,

Marty

Re: oops ... feedback please

Marty from SLC on 6/15/04 at 14:26 (153101)

oops ... feedback please

Re: Looking for some feed.

john h on 6/15/04 at 16:32 (153117)

Marty: About 5 year ago I had TTS and PF surgery done at the same time and they also did a chelectomy at the same time. The scar from the TTS and PF extends from the edge of my foot almost 6' up the inside of the ankle. My Doctor said all he found in the tarsal tunnel was a vericose vein which he removed and said there was really no problem in the area. He told me up front that the TTS surgery was always a shot in the dark as the various test for TTS can produce all sorts of false impressions. TTS surgery most certaily has it's risk as you are cutting aound nerves. I used a Orthopedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon who had performed many of these procedures. The surgery neither made me worse or made me better. I did not have a typical PF release as the Doctor only released about 10% of the fasica. You will find many people who have had PF surgery develop a pain on the outside of the foot which usually goes away with time. What you describe sounds like some sort of nerve pain which could very easily have be a result of the TTS surgery. You might want to get a nerve condution test and get an opinion from another Doctor perhaps from an MD Foot and Ankle Surgeon. Do you know if your Doctor had performed many TTS surgeries in the past?

Re: thanks john

Marty in SLC on 6/15/04 at 19:01 (153133)

Hi John H,

Thanks so much for your input and help. My history is long 7 years worth but in short before the surgery I had seen: 4 pods, 1 MD orthopaedic Foot and Ankle Surgeon, 2 neurologists and my md. I do have some neuropathy so it has made the diagnosis hard. I had the nerve conduction test done and the neurologist told me to have the surgery done. The first 3 pods were sure what it was because the tapping test didn't produce anything, the MD Foot and Ankle Surgeon said he would not perform the surgery and hadn't done any in a few years. Didn't seem to believe in them, said they cause complications down the road. But when the burning and pain is so bad you do what you think is the best for the moment. If you know what I mean. He 'the Orthopaedic foot and ankle surgeon told me to go to a neurologist because I had more going on then the TTS/PF. True but when I went to the neurologists (2 of them) they said true more going on but that I defiantly had TTS and have that done and then come back and see them. That's kind of the just of it other then all the things I tried before the surgery. I do wear orthodics btw I have had 4 sets now.

I think I have more going on then neuropathy here, something mechanical. A pinched nerve perhaps.

Are you saying to have another nerve conduction test done on the foot that had the surgery? I had one done before the surgery. Came back positive. I'm thinking of getting another opinion but you know how crappy that is. I have seen so many now and you basically have to start from square one if you change doctors.

Oh yes you asked if my pod had done many of these. Yes about 4 a month. He is suppose to be one of the best in the state. But I think either he by accident did something to the nerve of the mechanics of the foot/bones changed during the procedure. BTW my pod did tell my of the risks, it's a shot in the dark and he really didn't find anything in there either.

I just don't know where to go from here. My gut feeling is that I have a pinched nerve somewhere now. I don't know how to narrow it down though.

Once again thinks John