Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Seavers Disease

Posted by Barb G on 6/15/04 at 20:02 (153138)

What is seavers disease? My 11 year old son just found out he has this. How can we help his pain? Could you recomend a good heel pad? Thanks

Re: Sever's Disease

Nick, C.Ped on 6/18/04 at 05:21 (153361)

Sever's disease in all the medical dictionaries will sometimes be found under 'calcaneal apophysitis' It is basically an inflammation of the growth plate in the back of the heel where the achilles tendon attaches.
11 for a young male is a preety common age to be diagnosed with this condition. This condition has a lot to do with the way your son's Heel bone(s) ossify or harden as he grows. More so than a Heel pad something like a heel cup would be the most pain relief for your son's condition, seeing as the pain is usually not just on the bottom of the heel, it is around the back too. If you can find some that are kind of cut out (shaped like a V ) they tend to be more effective. Also make sure he wears them in both shoes not just one (as not to affect his leg growth, etc.) Your local Comfort shoe store or drug store might have something, otherwise I am a big Fan of the 'Apex Anti-Shox Heel Cups' and They are available online http://www.foot.com/shopping/product.jsp?sku=1307&style=1307

Re: Sever's Disease

Nick, C.Ped on 6/18/04 at 05:28 (153362)

Another Thing I forgot to mention is that while your son is trying to learn to cope with his condition and he is figuring out what activities he can and cannot do without pain things he might want to avoid are: sports related to running or jumping (basketball and soccer) until he finds his limits. Heel impact sports like this tend to not help the initial situation and may be something he could work into later as he is more comfortable on his feet. With Children it is very hard, but you should urge him to let you know when the pain is worse or better so you can monitor the appropraite level of rest he needs. Ice massage will Also help significantly on those 'bad days'