Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Transverse Friction Massage

Posted by Elyse B on 6/16/04 at 08:00 (153154)

By the way just for the record, I spoke to two chiropractors and two physical therapist and read the postings about Dr. Sandell's treatments and of course they are 'aghast.' they felt that tearing and re-tearing the fascia and re-aligning it is blasphemous. One of them said that TFM is outdated and graston is the newer treatment. Go figure!!!

Re: Transverse Friction Massage

John from MN on 6/16/04 at 08:11 (153155)

I guess they must be right. I think I am only dreaming that I can run 3 miles a day due to my TFM treatment. I must be an enigma!

The truth is they are relics of old medicine. Lets all watch how goose's treatment goes and see what they say. The proof is in the pudding.

Elyse B on 6/16/04 at 08:27 (153156)

you are soo right, but to get a doctor to admit anything is possible is very, very difficult. I cannot even get my doctor to give me a timeframe on treatments. I wonder why the doctors won't listen to Dr. Sandell's treatment.

goose on 6/16/04 at 08:35 (153159)

Hi all,

Glad to see everyone is talking about alternative treatments for our PF issues...discussion is great.

Dr. Sandell told me that it is not 'tearing and ripping' but remodeling the fascia. He is breaking up the scar tissue and creating a healthy, functional scar by making all the tissue align (versus being cross hatched and hard). He thought some of the statements being made here (he checked this site) were a bit inaccurate and overstated including the fact that he can 'cure anyone'. He said there are no guarantees however he is very successful at treating PF and he loves working on feet. Each person is unique and will their need own unique treatment plan. He said my plan is totally different from John from MN's plan. There is no cookie cutter approach. His specialty is chronic pain from sports injuries.

Time will tell. I will give you all an honest report about my experiences. I am planning to get 7 treatments in by July 2 before I leave on vacation, so you should be able to decide if this is a good idea for you by then. Until then, speculate all you want but I think it would be most helpful to just wait it out and see what happens...

In unrelated TFM news, I rode my bike into work today and my feet handled it okay. I am grateful for that! The flare-up from ESWT is over, at least if I take it easy. I guess I'm not planning to following up with my pod after ESWT since he doesn't do anything and would want me to just wait 3 months before trying anything else. This is the guy who said 'I guess we could do surgery butI haven't done one for 2 years'. Sure, sign me up!

This link helped me understand TFM: http://www.ombregt.be/engels/friction.htm

g

Elyse B on 6/16/04 at 09:09 (153161)

thanks goose for the updates. We are all waiting to see how you do and hope you get great results.

john h on 6/16/04 at 10:25 (153168)

Place & Goose (what funny names): I am most interested to see what comes of your treatments. I have traveled 1500 miles three times to N.J. for ESWT but you are the first I have read who have traveled a great distance for a massage. PF makes us do most unusual things. Good luck.

john h on 6/16/04 at 10:42 (153170)

Place & Goose (what funny names): I am most interested to see what comes of your treatments. I have traveled 1500 miles three times to N.J. for ESWT but you are the first I have read who have traveled a great distance for a massage. PF makes us do most unusual things. Good luck.

john h on 6/16/04 at 11:09 (153172)

Goose: That is an excellent site and gives a very good explanation of TFM. I have made a copy and will give it to both my PT and Massage Therapist. I think from reading this that a competent massage therapist should be able to use this technique. I would think that 15 minutes on each foot three days a week for 6-10 treatments and you will know if it is going to help. A thirty minute massage in my area (15 min devoted to each foot and calf) cost $35 a session so you could go through this for approximate $200-$300 roughly the cost of a pair of orthotics. Having easily spent over $10,000 on PF over the past 9 years this would be worth a go. I am still working with my PT and need him to step up the TFM as he is only doing this about 5 minutes on each foot.