Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pain in outside bottom area of left foot

Posted by Chuck W. on 6/16/04 at 13:24 (153180)

I'm currently training for a marathon. Recently, I've developed pain in the bottom outside area of my left foot. The pain did not start until after running (about 3 hours after), but it was difficult to stand on it after the pain began. The pain only occurred when weight was placed on the foot. I iced it on and off for approx. 30 min. and the next day I could walk with no pain. Is there an excercise I can do to prevent this? How long should I wait before I run again? Thank you for your time.

Re: Pain in outside bottom area of left foot

Nick, C.Ped on 6/18/04 at 04:53 (153360)

There are a lot of exercises you as a distance runner in training should be doing or could be doing dependant on the exact location of the pain. Is it in the heel area? The ball of your foot? In between? <>
Rest and Ice are going to be your friend in this situation, and depending on the date of your marathon? You should either start with a small amount of mileage and build your distance up again in prep for your marathon (basically re-starting your training) or if the pain persists, see a doctor and avoid injuring yourself worse. Something you as a long distance runner needs to be aware of is that you only have one set of feet and being proactive about smaller details like this one happening to your feet now is what will keep you running for many miles to come!

Re: Pain in outside bottom area of left foot

Chuck W. on 6/23/04 at 13:49 (153762)

Thanks Nick