Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone work out their legs with weights and help with PF?

Posted by dud on 6/16/04 at 16:33 (153191)

My doctor has told me to NOT workout my legs with weights in any way..as this will make my PF in both feet worse.

I have been suffering for nearly 2 years..and I am just wondering the logic of his advice. Would calf raises with light weight help. He recommends standing on a step to stretch my calves..but not to do the raises..

Or what about leg extensions..or leg raises.

Has anyone had any success with weights?

Re: Anyone work out their legs with weights and help with PF?

francesc on 6/16/04 at 17:29 (153194)

hi,

i have been suffering with PF for about 1.5 years. just a little less than you. and at no time has my pod told me not to do weights. i have also gone to physical therapy quite a bit and my therapist had me doing leg weights (leg press and calf raises on the leg press machine).

i think it depends on what your PF is like as to whether or not to do weights. i see no reason why you can't do light weights as long as it does not seem to bother you. i wouldn't recommend doing squats or lunges with heavy weights (that does put pressure on your feet). but doing squats with no weights (or wall sits, for instance) shouldn't be any worse than standing on your feet. you may want to find out his reasoning for this.

i also can't see how leg extensions would even have anything to do with your feet (since you sit down to do them)!

i can't say that the weights have helped my PF but, they haven't seemed to hurt me. i find that it hurts me more to have to walk 2 yards and carry a 45lb. plate than to stand and do squats with a 20 lb weight. so it all depends on you. i know my PF very well...

you may want to try doing a few leg exercises with no weights a few times for a week or so and then if it doesn't seem to bother you, progess to light weights. i am of the belief that you should try to keep your body strong even though you have PF. if you can tolerate being around a gym, then i think you should go for it.

hope it helps,
frances

Place on 6/16/04 at 18:04 (153197)

I think your doc is concerned about having your gastroc tightening up and pulling on the PF. My PT has always had me lift weights (my own body weight or external) to get more blood flow to the area to heal it and also to work those supporting muscles around the PF. But we went really slow, we did not want to 'feel the burn' because that might cause it to rip, get inflamed and tighten up. I do quad and hamstring all the time. Not sure there is any benifit or harm done to my PF.

John from MN on 6/16/04 at 18:23 (153198)

dud,

If you have PF you have scar tissue on your fascia. You need to fix the fascia before you put added stress on it. Once the tissue is back to normal can you get back to weight lifting. I tried what you are thinking about and it just made my PF worse.

dud on 6/16/04 at 20:13 (153205)

Thanks for replying John..

I have read a little about your treatment and I'm glad it has worked for you. I am going to ask some Pod and PTs I know if they have heard much on the TFM.

Let me ask you..you talk about the scar tissue on my fascia, which I definetly have..would it help to say rub a golf ball pretty hard on my heels where I feel the 'knots'. Does this in any way break down the tissue..or will it just do harm??

John from MN on 6/16/04 at 20:52 (153207)

Do not waste your time with a golf ball, soup can etc. This does not break up the scar tissue.