Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

First Visit with Grafton

Posted by Place on 6/16/04 at 17:58 (153196)

Treatment:
OK. Here goes…..I went to Cleveland today. The chiropractor did not try to sell me any inserts or get x-rays of my back but really just treated my feet and legs (I really appreciated it). She warmed them up with water ultra sound then she checked for scar tissue on the PF, she said I defiantly have a great deal of it. I could totally feel when she checked where the smooth parts were (at the ball of the foot) and when it transitioned into the scar tissue stuff. I could even tell the difference between different areas and my heel had bigger one/areas than my arches. She said that she was only going med. force and it really did not hurt. She also did my gastroc's and Achilles. She was dead on as far as finding the one calf muscle that was tighter than the other. She found a big glob of scar tissue she said should not be there. She did really light stretching, so light I would not consider it a stretch. Next she put on kinesiology (I not sure of the name I will ask her next time I go) tape on my feet and legs. She says that this has really worked well for people with PF, of which my friend who is a PT also confirmed.

Post Treatment:
My feet are itchier than anything else. They are a little sore but nothing that I cannot ignore. I asked about activity level, she said that do normal stuff, and that I should ice 20 minutes on, 40 off. I do not think that she specifically focused on feet or rehabbing back up to running but from her responses to my questions about the graston technique, I think she knew her stuff.

Re: Sorry that's GRASTON, not Grafton!

Place on 6/16/04 at 19:26 (153201)

Also one other thing, I heard poping noises from my feet as she did the treatment, it was really strange!

Re: First Visit with Grafton

Dr. Z on 6/16/04 at 19:41 (153202)

Hi

Is there any way you can record the level of your original pain and inablity to do things and then record lets say two weeks, one month six weeks eight week and then 12 weeks your pain levels and how you rate your ability to function.

Place on 6/16/04 at 21:46 (153208)

Sure, I can try! My original level of pain was a 5/ 6 sometimes I would be forced to take it to a 7 before I could get off my feet. It has never really been about the level of pain (I could control that most of the time) but how much could I do before it began. One of the problems with measuring in more precise terms is that the more I rest the more I can do. Conversely if I overdo it for just one day, my stamina is remarkably decreased the next day/week. It's not very consistent in a minuet since. One thing I do know is I could/can never run, even if it was a small sprint, without repercussions the next day or even later on in the evening. At max I could go grocery shopping 35-40 minutes (on my very best days). I suppose I could measure from those baselines. When I make my progress posts, I will make sure to include that data.

Dr. Z on 6/16/04 at 21:57 (153213)

Place

This is exactly the type of reporting that may be helpful. Think about it in this way am I having less pain with doing more and are my ' recoveries' faster and not as difficult

elyse b on 6/17/04 at 06:01 (153230)

Place thanks for the posting, sounds like you got a good visit. Are you still going to go to Dr. Sandell on Monday? Again if you want to report in, I can call on your cell and post for you. Did the chiro suggest the amount of visits you might need?

Place on 6/17/04 at 10:33 (153271)

Hey thanks for the phone offer, but believe it or not, I think I am the last person on earth not to have a cell phone, it drive's my friends nuts! As nice as those KOA campgrounds are, I still don't think they have access to the Internet, yet! =) I have worked it out to go to the public library to log in. I am going to give Dr. Sandell two visits and then re-assess at that time if I want to say longer for more treatments. I really think my Doc in Cleveland knows her stuff about Graston but she does not specialize in feet or rehabbing back to running, I am hoping Dr. Sandell will fill in those gaps. If things go well in MN, I may spend two weeks there, come home for a week, use my Doc in Cleveland for that week and go back for another two weeks.

My Cleveland Doc said that this therapy has helped many people with PF, not all, but a ton. She made no promises and said I needed to give at least 6-8 treatments to see if it will work and if I saw no progress, it will not work and we would stop.

Elyse B on 6/17/04 at 12:14 (153290)

Place, you definitely might be the last person on earth who does not have a cell phone. Definitely keep us posted from the library to see how you are doing. I want someone to rehab me back to running as well. So you are thinking all in all a month with Dr. Sandell. I hope that Dr. Sandell will be honest and give you an estimate of how long it will take as well. I do agree that after 6-8 visits if there is no improvement either with Dr. Sandell or with anyone than the treatment is not going to work. Please write to us with results daily so we can book our flights to MN. Elyse

Susan S on 6/18/04 at 11:35 (153400)

She's not the last. I don't have a cell phone either.