Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

TTS and DR. SANDELL

Posted by steve-o on 6/18/04 at 03:54 (153359)

for all of you considering tts surgery, i would suggest getting some info from dr. sandell first. i wish i had! john from mn stated that the dr. treats tts as well as pf. he is a chiropractor who uses massage and chiropractic. he has cured john from years of pf in a couple months of treatment. the risk with surgery and poor chance of success and a long recovery (could take years or never) should be absolutely the last shot. which it is(in the dark). we all know how many lousy drs. there are who feed you a bunch of crap, jerk you around, and spend 10 minutes with you if your lucky. from john and the others he is treating, dr. sandell gives you the straight dope, spends a lot of time with you, and charges very little. so, his methods are worth a try. there has been a huge discussion by the pf sufferers. dr. sandell is supposed to visit the 'treatment' category on sunday to explain his methods and why they work. give it a look. it may be the answer. best of luck to all!

Re: TTS and DR. SANDELL

marie on 6/18/04 at 09:24 (153374)

Thanks for the information Steve. I know that when my hubby took over the massage part of my recovery it made a huge dent in my recovery. I have been reading a little about the technique and it seems that deep transverse friction massage has been helping alot of people who have chronic pain.

looking forward to Dr. Sandell's visit. Thanks!

Re: TFM I thought was not good for TTS?

John Martello on 6/18/04 at 16:11 (153429)

I thought TFM was not good for tts?

John from MN on 6/18/04 at 18:23 (153443)

I talked a little about TTS with Dr. Sandell, he says the treatment is not as long and less painful than someone with severe PF generally. I would only have surgery as a last resort. Give the doc a chance to help you.

Terri on 6/18/04 at 20:41 (153454)

Again, so many of us respond differently to the same treatment. I for one cannot stand having my feet massaged anywhere, not the toes, ball of the foot, arch or heels. It sets me off into spasms and cramps almost instantly.

Then again, Marie swears by it! All I can say is try it once, if it works then great...if not, well then we know not to try that again! I'll close by repeating what 2 pod's have told be about TTS and massage: 'don't let anyone massage over the tarsal area directly.'

Marty in SLC on 6/18/04 at 21:33 (153467)

Funny Terri, my pod told me to massage over it after I got my stitches out.

Marty in SLC on 6/18/04 at 21:35 (153468)

i wish I could but I'm in utah. :(

Re: TTS and DR. SANDELL- john from mn??

steve-o on 6/19/04 at 02:07 (153477)

john from mn. did you have pf surgery also before finding dr. sandell?
i ask because my tts surgery seemed to be an incomplete release with more scar tissue forming in what was released. and wondering if the dr. has success after a surgery has been performed. thnx ~s~

Terri on 6/19/04 at 07:25 (153484)

That is strange that they would differ, only because the reason I was given for no massage in the area was due to the nerves being aggravated by the surgery already and needing time to calm down. Many on the board here have reported their p.t. massaged the TT area after surgery and they suffered a relapse, some up to several weeks.

Then again, I've always said how different we all react to the same things, I guess this holds true for dr's opinions also.

Re: TTS and DR. SANDELL- john from mn??

John from MN on 6/19/04 at 07:53 (153485)

Yes, I had ESWT surgery on both feet several times without success. Dr. Sandell rebuilds your tissue like its new. I never thought this was possible but you can rearrange the scar tissue with soft tissue mobilization to the point where the tissue feels like new again. Its amazing

mike l on 6/20/04 at 15:34 (153552)

Hey John, I am in Mpls, how does one reach Dr.Sandell ? I have suffered for years with TTS and have tried just about everything.

John from MN on 6/20/04 at 18:41 (153565)

Mike,

Dr. Sandell works in Maple Grove, MN at Spine and Sports Institute. His phone number is 763.315.0466.

marie on 6/22/04 at 20:24 (153727)

Hi Terri,

I should elaborate a little. My hubby only massaged the meta tarsal (the very front of the foot) and never my ankle or heel or anywhere near the tarsal area. Oh boy, NEVER let anyone massage directly over the tarsal area. I had a huge set back and alot of pain when my PT did just that. My hubby also massaged my calves and thighs if needed twice a day. I believe circulation may play a part in my tts. I iced for a few minutes afterwards.

Now what works for me may not for you. I tried just about everything and it didn't all work. Finding the right combination is sooooo important.

Absolutely try MSM and Glucosamine for at least 6-12 months before you decide it's not helping. Non weight bearing exercise to keep your strength and muscle tone is just as important as staying off your feet. I could barely lift my legs 3 inches when I started doing leg lifts. Now I can kick my leg right up there. It took 2 years to be able to do this. It's not going to happen over night.

best wishes marie