Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Walking - Running

Posted by john h on 6/18/04 at 10:18 (153386)

I have not run in perhaps 6-7 years. For the past 5 months I have been at around a pain level 3. Sometimes higher sometimes lower. I have had no problem walking 2 miles. Yesterday I walked 2 miles on the indoor track and decided to jog 2 laps just to see what would happen. No better and no worse for the short jog 24 hours later. As you know when you jog you push off on your toes and do place stress on the achilles much more than when walking. After a 6 year lay off I really did not know what to expect. May go 4 laps today. Running/ jogging was really important to me for most of my life but even if I discover a cure for PF I think it is time to give it up as my feet will never be the same. I would like to know that I could run a mile just for self satisfaction. After that I will resort to walking and hopefully hiking and some of the other health club activities. I had my day in the sun running in hundreds of races and even winning my age group once in a while. It is time to recognize that my original goal of getting back to running 5K and 10K races does not make sense for me. I do find it interesting that running two laps caused no additiona pain after 24 hours. I should probably wait 36 hours to make sure some new pain does not show up.

Re: Walking - Running

Elyse B on 6/18/04 at 10:38 (153389)

thanks John for posting. You may run again you never know. I am hopeful that I will. I 'ran' into someone who had PF and they were running. But I know your case was more chronic but I won't give up hope that I will run again. That is why I was thinking of giving walking./running a try this weekend myself just to see what happens. I have not run in a month.

Dorothy on 6/18/04 at 12:21 (153407)

Gently, gently - but it is exciting to think you very well might be able to do this again! I would like to be able to run just to know I could protect myself if I needed to in some emergency. I really appreciate your courage, John.

Re: I'm back in the saddle again!

marie on 6/18/04 at 16:13 (153430)

Sally was a gift from my husband on my 29th birthday. I have ridden Sally many miles but she has been gone unridden for the last 3 years. Well I'm riding Sally again. I take her for a ride every morning for about a mile. I figure I'll never be able to do 10 miles a day like I use to but 5 miles a week suits me just fine. Stick with it folks, you may never be able to run with the wind like you did in the past but there is always something that you can do....like walk. One step at a time and let your body talk to you.....when it saids 'enough' stop.

A picture of my trustworthy stead.
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeAMmjZu2bOGjGfg

Carole C in NOLA on 6/18/04 at 21:15 (153464)

John, CONGRATULATIONS!!! on your 2 lap jog. I agree that you should wait 36 hours to be cautious. I do hope you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel this time.

Carole C

Robert J on 6/18/04 at 22:51 (153473)

john--

Let us know about your running jog. I have also been experimenting with increased stress after 2.5 years of 'rest.' So far, so good. Today I walked for about 3 miles. No ill affect so far. I haven't dared run yet, so I am interested in your results.

I am an atypical case. So far my exercise has been tolerated well. What's going on here?

john h on 6/19/04 at 08:54 (153487)

Robert I only went two laps which is about 200 yds after a 2 mile walk. I guess you got to start somewhere.

Re: I'm back in the saddle again!

Place on 6/19/04 at 11:14 (153493)

Nice Bike, I am glad I took a look because I thought you were talking about a Horse!

marie on 6/19/04 at 12:04 (153497)

That's right John! Something is better then nothing!