Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Alaska pictures

Posted by Necee on 6/19/04 at 14:48 (153506)

I've added a few more pictures so here's the right link
http://share.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=EeBOWrNy2ctHEg

Necee

Re: Alaska pictures

Suzanne D. on 6/19/04 at 16:27 (153518)

These are great! I love the island picture, especially.

Thanks for posting them!
Suzanne :)

marie on 6/20/04 at 18:07 (153564)

I love the island photo too!!!!!!!!!! :)

Kathy G on 6/21/04 at 09:25 (153589)

Necee,

The pictures are breathtaking! I esecially like the Misty Fjords. It must have been a great trip! How warm was it when you were there? What time did it get dark? Doesn't it stay light way later, like it does in Canada?

A friend of my son's went to Alaska with his grandmother when he was around fourteen. He loved it so much that he went back when he graduated from college. He's traveled quite a lot for a young man of thirty and Alaska remains as one of his favorite places.

john h on 6/21/04 at 11:01 (153599)

'Misty Fjords' brings back a memory I had not thought about in 30 years. In 1957 I was flying an F-89 from Goose Bay Labrador to Iceland. Enroute I developed a mechanical problem. My only possible landing area was a small landing strip on the tip of Greenland named Narsasarauk. The base if you want to call it that was at the end of a Fjord with the ruunway on the edge of the water. On each side of the narrow Fyord were mountains or ice which were several thousand feet high. Once you committed and entered the Fyord there was no turnning back. Problem was there were three Fyords and three entrances to chose from. I knew that in the correct one their was a sunken ship sticking up out of the water about 3 miles up the winding Fyord so if you saw that you were in the correct fyord. I had only enough fuel to make one try and could not fly over the runway to make sure I was entering the correct fyord. Navigation in those days was shaky at best as there was no GPS and airliners used navigators to take positions on the stars and sun. This was really not a military base so radio contact was minimal. I was left to make a guess. I entered one of the fyords at about 1000 feet based on nothing by intuition and was I ever looking for that sunken boat. When you are 21 you think you are invinciable. Sure enough sbout 3 miles in, there was the boat, and up comes the runway which went up a steep hill. Nothing but solid ice everywehere you looked. An un- eventful landing and had to spend a week their waiting for repairs and parts to be flown in. There were a number of P-39's north of the base burried in solid ice. They apparently entered the wrong fyord durning WWII. Recently on the History channel they had a show about someone who undertook the task of recovering one of these unusal fighters which was preserved in ice. They did recover one and it was fully restored. This was apprently a sub base during WWII and used for fighters to refuel flying to Europe as they did not have the range to make it to Iceland. Largely manned by folks from Norway who must have been fishermen or hunters as there was nothing else on this barren ice cap. There was a bar that would seat about 30 people..

Re: To: Kathy Re: Alaska pictures

Necee on 6/21/04 at 22:16 (153666)

We sure had a wonderful time Kathy, and I'd go back in a heartbeat.
The weather was perfect the whole time, highs were in the low 60's, and the night temp was in the 50's.

Needless to say, we didn't get much sleep on that trip....the sun came up at 4:30am! and didn't set until around 10:30. We stayed up till the sun went down, and woke when it came up!

If you ever have the opportunity to make a trip to Alaska, I highly recommend it, we came awefully close to backing out...thinking we should not spend the money, but I'm so glad we decided to go.

Necee

wendyn on 6/22/04 at 22:52 (153739)

Necee, great pictures! I really must go on a cruise like that one day, an Alaskan cruise would be my first pick.

john h on 6/23/04 at 09:41 (153752)

Wendy you are already almost in Alaska. Why not head south where it is warm and there are no dog sled races or Mounties singing Indian Love Call.