Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

working with plantar fascitis

Posted by teresa on 6/19/04 at 22:08 (153525)

I was just wondering if anyone how do you manage to work with this promblem. I work in a factory on concrete for 8-10 hours a day I have been off for the last 3 weeks but I know I will have to go back quickly dont think they will let me stay on disability too much longer had the cortisone shots 3 of them so far no help. thank you

Re: working with plantar fascitis

JudyS on 6/20/04 at 10:15 (153541)

Teresa you are in a ticklish situation. It is nearly impossible to work in those kinds of situations with plantar fasciitis - in fact I would guess that that may well be how your PF began. You may have noticed that many folks who post here are like yourself - in work situations that require thm to be on their feet on hard surfaces for long hours.

Shoes, of course, are critical. I imagine that you've already explored what kind of shoes help. Has your doc given you orthotics? If the shots are not helping then it may be best to discontinue them. Too much cortisone can be risky. Are you able to use a mat to stand on at work?
Are you following all the usual procedures such as icing, ibuprofen, morning warm-ups, etc.? Can you be off your feet at home? Can you be assigned to a role at work that doesn't demand a lot of 'on-feet' time?

Unfortunately you're in a tricky situation and it's sadly likely that if you continue having to stand on your feet for hours at a time, you'll only be reinjuring them on a daily basis - PF is that persistent. Your doctor shoud know this and put this in writing for your employer. You may want to re-post your question in the 'ask the doctors' section of the message boards.

Kristie on 6/21/04 at 08:54 (153584)

I was working in retail for three years and then way laid off because they were closing some stores. The good news is the last year off has helped my foot alot. I also had ESWT theraphy done, which didn't seem to help and PF release surgery which seems to have helped alot.

I'm really considering going beack to a retail job next month. Some employer called and the job sounds great. I am very worried about going back and getting hurt again (maybe hurting my other foot wich has PF at times but not as bad as ny right).But I figured I've been off for a year and I will never know unless I try it again. Maybe you and I will be fine but I think we will always have to watch our feet adn treat them right. I have an alternate plan if the retail thing doesn't work out. Maybe you should also start thinking about what you want to do if going back to you job isn't right for your feet.

Good Luck.

Kathy G on 6/21/04 at 09:14 (153588)

Standing in one place is bad for PF and standing on concrete is doubly bad. How long have you had PF? You didn't have three cortisone shots in three weeks, did you?

Judy gives you good advice.

Is there any chance you could sit while you do your job? On a chair or a stool? Hopefully, they already supply rubber mats for you to stand on.

Maybe someone else will have some helpful hints for you. Good luck!

teresa on 6/21/04 at 23:33 (153671)

I was diagnosed with pf on 5-12 of this year but I have been hurting with this for a while just wouldnt go to the doctor. There is no way I can sit down and do my job and we do have mats. I guess I will just have to go back and deal with it. thank you

Carole C in NOLA on 6/22/04 at 11:42 (153700)

Maybe custom orthotics would help. Can you wear a shoe with a lot of cushioning, like the New Balance 991? Something like that with a good orthotic in it might help. But depending on your job, maybe athletic shoes wouldn't be appropriate. :(

Many of us here understand and can truly sympathize with what you are going through. It's got to be awful.

Carole C