Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Losing Weight ??

Posted by Joann C on 6/19/04 at 22:19 (153527)

I am 'new' to this pain, (about 6 months of on again/off again morning heel pain.) About two weeks ago I felt something 'tear' in my heel, which sent shoots of pain everywhere. I'd just taken a long walk in cheap, plastic flip flops, since I'd no idea how foolish that was. I will be honest when I say I need to lose 70- 80 lbs. (Yikes!) Has anyone here lost weight and had that help with the pain? I've always walked everywhere and only recently gained a ton of weight due to computer surfing and overeating. Now I'm paying for it by barely being able to walk. I am disgusted with myself and more than a little depressed over it. I am blaming my inflamed PF on the weight gain and lethargy.

Re: Losing Weight ??

Joanne L. on 6/19/04 at 23:21 (153529)

Hi,

I'm in the same boat as you. Just started a week ago.

gail on 6/20/04 at 19:13 (153566)

Hi! Joann C., and Joanne L. as well,
Welcome to the board. To answer your question Joann C., losing weight will probably help. I am not a doctor, but this is my honest opinion. May I suggest riding a bicycle if walking is too painful for now. This is what I do. I found that using shoes with thick and rigid soles do not affect my heels. But, if you get as much pain as walking, not a good idea. Also, you could try swimming. For sure, you should not get any additional pain.
Joann, so far I lost 22 pounds by doing those exercises and following the Weight Watchers philosophy which is cutting down on fat content. My goal was losing one pound a week for the past 4 months. Some weeks I do not succeed cause I cheat. But I think I'll keep going, yah! one pound at a time.
One more thing, there is a lot of information in 'THE BOOK' for treatments you can try at home. Sometimes its ice, massages, stretching, etc... Many of us try and those treatments and find which one works best. So it takes time and patience. Also, feel to talk, to ask questions to the doctors. There is a great bunch of people on the board who will listen and try to answer your questions. Many of us have PF like you and sympathize with what you are going through. For myself, things are getting better with my feet. So keep in touch let us know when things get better. That goes for you Joanne L. GOOD LUCK!! GAIL M

R C on 6/21/04 at 12:46 (153610)

I have also found that weight gain aggravates PF, and losing weight helps. I lost the most weight when I started swimming regularly, and counting calories throughout the day. It sounds like a lot of work, but the feeling of control is very rewarding and liberating. I also got a recumbent bike for home use.