Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Painful toe implants

Posted by Mark A on 6/20/04 at 16:48 (153556)

I am one year post surgery big toe implants. They are very painful and I have a lot of compensatory pain. My soleus and pyriform (I don't know how to spell correctly) in my legs are very painful. The doctor has tried closed maniuplation to break any adhesions but wasn't successful. He said he didn't want to go in and break adhesions because of more adhesions. He wants to go in an stretch the tendons of both feet. Before he does this, wouldn't a flouroscan be in order? If you don't have flexibility with those implants than why would you want to stretch the tendons?

Thanks Mark

Re: Painful toe implants

Ed Davis,DPM on 6/20/04 at 17:34 (153558)

Mark:
What type of implants were used? This is one area I do quite a bit of surgery on and feel that there are some very successful designs out there. There are other issues of technique and biomechanics but will wait for your answer.
Ed

Mark A on 6/20/04 at 21:39 (153569)

Some kind of double stemmed implants. I will have to check. Can't remember the name? I have orthotics which don't help. When I try to put weight on my left foot, it is very painful. The more I walk on it, the pain gets a little better. The doctor also has suggested taking the implants out and letting the toe alone. Won't this be bone on bone?

If my foot doesn't improve, I'm going to have to retire because I no longer can stand to walk from the parking lot to the business. (3 block

My physical therapist who has seen me for a year thinks I should have a flouroscan because he along with my doctor is at his wits end. Would stretching the big toe tendons make any difference? Can adhesions cause this much pain and why won't the doctor go in and cut any adhesions and then put a CPM machine on the toes to get a better range of motion. He actually told me I might have to learn to live with this pain but there has to be a way to alleviate the situation. Would you get another doctor?

Thanks

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/21/04 at 14:31 (153625)

Mark:
Usually there is not a lot of pain associated with total implants because they are not living tissue without nerves in them. Scar tissue is a possibility although I would be interested in knowing more about your foot mechanics which is hard to do over the net. It sounds like a second opinion is in order.
Ed

Mark A on 6/21/04 at 20:48 (153656)

Do you think a flouroscan taken while I am walking would be of any value in helping any podiatrist make a definitive diagnosis? Thanks Mark

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/26/04 at 18:29 (153999)

Mark:
Possibly. I would start by looking at some of the fundamentals first from a fresh perspective...
Ed