Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT Treatment Intervals

Posted by Heel Spur on 6/21/04 at 11:23 (153601)

I've had my first ESWT treatment and it took only ten minutes. I was appalled it was so short. I'd love to be paid (earn a livivng) at the rate they charge for this treatment. I've been told I have to have two more treatments at this lower dosage to equal the dosage of a single treatment at a higher dose. Does that make sense to anybody? How close in time should these treatments be? How do you know if the correct dosage is being given? I've also been told that insurance companies will not pay for both feet to be treated at the same time; so, instead of three visits, I now have six visits.

Re: ESWT Treatment Intervals

SteveG on 6/21/04 at 16:22 (153636)

Yes it makes sense. You are having the low energy treatment. When I had it done, I had the treatments a week apart, which, I gather, is the standard protocol

Joye C on 6/25/04 at 09:07 (153894)

From the research articles I have read, the lower dose treatment is not as effective as the higher dose - even having it done 3 times does not get the results as one treatment at the higher dose. I read this in a JAMA article in January. You might want to go to someone who administers the higher dose

Pauline on 6/25/04 at 09:34 (153895)

I'm not certain nor probably is anyone for that matter that what you read in JAMA is correct, especially if Dr. Rompe (the best ESWT researcher probably in the world provides this as his personal opinion).

'My personal view: The more experimental data become available to the public the more one should re-think over single application of high-energy shock waves. A repeated fractionated application of a small dose may have equal results but less side effects than a single application of a high dose - the same is true for radiation therapy in oncologic patients '.
Posted to Category: ESWT

Dr. Z on 6/25/04 at 09:44 (153897)

I don't think that the single application will be the issue. The amount of energy delivered at that single session is something that needs testing.. For example we use a single application of energy at a level just out of low energy range for chronic insertinal Achilles tendinosis. It is my opinion that the results are better then a single high energy treatment. This is all a single session we are talking about.

Pauline on 6/25/04 at 10:09 (153901)

Any doctor following the FDA protocol for treating P.F. in a single treatment must be delivering a good jolt or anesthesia wouldn't be needed. I think Dr. Rompe is saying whether its better or not is still up for grabs.

I guess how much is too much and how little is too little still needs to be determined, but at least the recent study he posted offers a positive option.

Dr. Z on 6/25/04 at 10:18 (153904)

It also depends on the doctor's attitude toward pain. There are some 'low energy three treatment protocols that goes into the high energy range.
I have spoke to many patients that have pain with low energy protocol. Read the Sonocur FDA labeling for side effect that discuss this issue for the elbow. The foot is much more sensitive.
So time will time. So far there are alot more high energy treatments being done then low energy so how we are going to determine what is best will be determine by the companies getting FDA approval. What I don't understand is why Sonocur doesn't apply for FDA approval for low energy pf treatment

Maybe we can just get rid of the entire FDA and then allow the doctors to determine what works best??

Pauline on 6/25/04 at 11:56 (153913)

I don't think it really has to at this point? As long as it's low energy it's in a different category as far as the FDA is concerned. If it's safe enough for the elbow I thought it could be used off label by a physician to also treat P.F.

I'm surprised when you say the foot is more sensitive than the elbow. I would think just the oposite because of the toughness of the skin and the P.F. Lots of people in undeveloped countries go barefoot most of the time if not all of the time. That must build toughness. I know when I hit my elbow it seems pretty sensitive because the bone is right there under the skin. Interesting.

Re: Need info on the treatment

Stacy on 7/16/04 at 00:53 (155580)

My mother is planning to get this treatment done.I would like to learn little more on this topic. What are the side effect of this treatment? Does it really work?..etc Thank you in advance for your help