Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bowling in Birks...

Posted by Suzanne D. on 6/21/04 at 21:41 (153663)

Hello, Friends!

My family wanted to go bowling tonight, and I thought I'd just sit and watch as I have done the few times they've gone since my PF started three years ago. But tonight I thought that I'd like the exercise and didn't just want to be a spectator. So at the counter where we pay and get the shoes, I just took off one of my Birks and said, 'I have foot problems and need to wear these shoes. Could I be allowed to bowl in these?' They agreed with no problem!

I don't think it would have been wise for me to wear the bowling shoes, but I had a good time and no pain wearing my Birkenstocks. They didn't improve my poor scores of 74 and 75, but then I was never a good bowler before PF, either! :)

I just thought I'd mention this so that others would know that it might be possible, if they asked, to wear their own supportive shoes at the bowling alley. I also mention it to encourage others that someday they may bowl and do other activities again, too! Three years ago I just sat in the van if my family went in Wal-Mart. So, there is hope for better days ahead.

Suzanne :)

Re: Bowling in Birks...

Carole C in NOLA on 6/21/04 at 22:21 (153667)

Suzanne, how wonderful! I have been thinking about bowling again too some day, though I haven't gone bowling for 35 years. I don't know if I would remember how, but I would probably have fun trying.

It is truly wonderful to hear how well you are doing! :)

Carole C

Dorothy on 6/22/04 at 00:54 (153674)

That's a wonderful, happy post, Suzanne - makes me smile!

john h on 6/22/04 at 09:10 (153686)

I had some great times in my life on bowling teams. We also had mixed doubles and wore the gaudy shirts. I of course had my custom ball and bag and the wrst band and the whole works. I have hit 250 + on various occasions and you bet I would give the old ball a throw if I found myself in a bowling alley. As a young teen I sat bowing pins often before the advent of the automatic pin setter.

Suzanne D. on 6/22/04 at 10:07 (153691)

Yes, I think you would have fun trying, Carole, and I'll just bet you'd easily beat my score! :) Actually, I probably haven't bowled 25 times in my whole life, and I've never been any good, but it was fun to try. It was nice to not just sit and watch everyone else. I'm sure you understand what I mean!

Hope you're having a good week!

Suzanne D. on 6/22/04 at 10:08 (153693)

Thank you, Dorothy! Are your hives gone now? I hope so!

Suzanne D. on 6/22/04 at 10:15 (153695)

Wow, John, 250+! I'm impressed! I was happy last night any time I knocked some pins over rather than getting a gutter ball. :) I remember learning to keep score as a teen when I went bowling a few times with our church youth group. I figured if I was a terrible bowler, at least I could be 'important' by knowing how to add up the strikes and spares that other kids bowled! Now, of course, it is automatically scored and shown on a big screen for everyone to see. That probably would have bothered me then, but I don't care now. I was just happy to not be sitting.

It's funny the things that bother you when you're young that don't seem important years later. I also remember being self-conscious about the size of the bowling shoes being written in big numbers on the back of the shoes since I have long feet. Seems silly now...

You'll have to go bowling again and tell us how you did!

john h on 6/22/04 at 12:41 (153705)

Suzanne my bowling days were mostly in Cheyenne, Wyoming. the winters were long and cold and I was not into skiing so bowling was one of the few things we could do. My wife even liked it as that was the 'togetherness' phase of our life. She took up bowling. I could not play golf, work in the yard or much else with the winds blowing 50 mph and snow all over the place.

wendyn on 6/22/04 at 22:50 (153738)

Suzanne, I've done this too! The only disadvantage I've found is that Birks don't slide well on the wood floor. Funny, because they slide just fine on ice....

Suzanne D. on 6/24/04 at 08:49 (153813)

So that's why I had a low score: my Birks wouldn't slide! ;) (Never mind that I always have had low scores when I bowled!)

You're right, though, they do slide just fine on ice! Not that we have that much in KY, but we do every now and then, and I can attest to the fact that Birks can be slippery then!

Hope you're having a good week, Wendy!

wendyn on 6/26/04 at 10:15 (153977)

Suzanne, I am a terrible bowler. I am also a terrible golfer, but I signed up for a work tournamet with our department. The tournament is Monday, and I've been to the driving range twice this week. I've stopped always missing the ball.

I have a golf lesson at 10:30. Here's hoping I can learn A LOT in 30 minutes. Oh well, the tournament will be fun. Perhaps I will drive the cart and serve beer. Then I will be the cart tart?

john h on 6/26/04 at 11:37 (153985)

WendyN as you probably know golf is really tough on your feet if you have PF. If you make a correct golf swing you are placing a lot of stress and torque on the fascia. One of the famous golfers missed a year with PF recently. If you are a bad golfer and swing flat footed you may not stress the foot as much. I have been thinking about draging out my clubs and going to the range to see if I still have a slice. During the golf stage of my life I played 5 days a week. As a teen I caddied at a very nice golf club for some years. One year I caddied in the ladies national open.

wendyn on 6/26/04 at 14:37 (153992)

John, I haven't found golf in particular hard on my feet. I will use a cart, so I don't have to worry about the walking, but even the standing required can be a little rough after 18 holes.

Go get your clubs and have a nice afternoon!!!!

I will sit here and write papers.

(I'm always on the board more when I have homework due. Sad, but true.)