Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Painful feet

Posted by Catherine Williamson on 6/21/04 at 22:41 (153669)

I have had a spur on the back of my left foot for approximately 18 months, and in that time have also undergone surgery for breast cancer and a course of chemotherapy. When my treatment was completed I decided to take up exercise to regain my fitness etc. I joined a gym and had an assessment done, was doing well, until I felt pain in my arches of both feet which over the following couple of weeks extended to pain in my insteps. I have not gone back to using the rowing machine which I used when this pain began, but I find myself in pretty much constant pain and find it difficult to walk without pain.

Could you advise me as to what I should do. Should I discuss this with my surgeon?

Re: Painful feet

Nick, C.Ped on 6/22/04 at 02:52 (153676)

Seems to me the Better place to start before you go about discussing surgery is your footwear. What kind of shoes and or inserts(if any) have you been wearing, Has anything made it better? worse? Where exactly is the pain and when exactly does it show up? What size and width is your foot? Arch type(hi, med, low)? The Best person to talk to would be your local Podiatrist or Certified Pedorthist. They might be able to help you with some lifestyle changes with your feet that will be greatly beneficial .

It is rather tough to find studies on it, but with the few Post-Chemo patients i have worked with in the past i have always found an accelerated natural breakdown,i.e., fallen arches, joint pain, stiffness, lack of mobility, numbness, tingling, neuropathy(lack of sensation), etc, etc.
Depending on the severity and qauntity of the problems going on a simple solution may be available?!?!? (what we all hope huh!)

If you could answer some of the questions above i would be happy to go in depth about your feet and this evil pain your having