Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Balance 842 ?????

Posted by Rose on 6/22/04 at 09:21 (153687)

I have been wearing New Balance 1122 for the pas year and went to a New Balance Store yesterday and was told that the poditrists here are recommending the NB 842
walking shoes. They have a roll bar in them but are ot as padded as the running shoes I have been wearing. They are flatter though and feel very good. What is the opinion of everybody about these shoes? Do you recommend walking shoes? Overall, do you recommend walking, running, or cross training shoes? Has anybody had any New Balance shoes with the roll bar? Which do you recommend? I have narrow feet. I tried on a pair of Reebok shoes the other day and they felt very good, and maybe that is bedcuse my feet are narrow. These NB 842 were narrow. My 1122 shoes are regular B width, but I purchased them soon after surgery and they felt good. They are definately too wide now.
I look forward to your postings.

Re: New Balance 842 ?????

Nick, C.Ped on 6/23/04 at 14:13 (153764)

Rose, To my Knowledge the NB 1122 has a rollbar in it as well. But for your narrow feet the 842 narrow tends to fit significantly better than the 1122 narrow, partly because the shoe style and construction. I am a big Fan of the 842 for a general all purpose walking shoe. Normally the running shoe is always going to be more supportive than the walking shoe, BUT in this case within these two styles the 842 might better suit your purpose and still be as effective. Generally when i am looking at an individual trying to decide wether to recommend a running shoe versus a walking shoe i am looking at their individual needs and lifestyle. Running shoes tend to be a little bit more controlling on your Gait(walking pattern), tend to have a little more cushion and be more aggresive in the sole pattern(tread) wheras walking shoes can fit a vast majority of feet(width,depth,and size) a little better long-term wear, generally walking shoes still use a lot of leather in the upper of the shoes which provides a more customized fit as the shoes have been 'worn-in' .... TO Get back to the subject, I think the 842 might be a good move for your narrow feet if you are looking for an 'all purpose everyday walking around' shoe.

Rose on 6/24/04 at 10:59 (153821)

Thank you somuch for the quick reply. ARe there any other shoes other than the New Balance that you might recommend too? Thanks again.

Linda V. on 6/25/04 at 17:28 (153933)

hi,
I love my sneaker man at my shoe store, and for my PF, he recommended the New Balance 879.. a lightweight running shoe (although he knows I am not a runner) because of its good arch support. That was the model name for 2003, the new one is called 889...same thing, different colors. A good shoe store will measure your feet and guide you to the proper sneaker for your narrow feet. I also used superfeet inserts, which they custom cut for my sneaker (small feet) and my podiatrist glued an extra wedge in the arch to try to save me the cost of custom orthotics. So far, so good. I am about 60% better. Hope you are too.
Linda

Nick, C.Ped on 6/25/04 at 23:07 (153954)

If you get the opp. to visit a pedorthic shoe store, They not only should guide you in the right runner or walker for your needs but should be able ot make those types of modifications as well. Where are you located? I might Know a colleauge or a store in your area.

Rose on 6/27/04 at 12:33 (154025)

I am in San Diego and would be very interested in this. Thanks so much.

susan o on 6/27/04 at 13:46 (154028)

Nick, how about someone in Louisville, Kentucky, or Huntsville, Alabama?
Are there any Asics that are good for fasciitis? Is a roll bar likely to have too much stiffness when someone is wearing a hard orthotic?