Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Exercising the foot

Posted by john h on 6/22/04 at 12:25 (153704)

Someone posed a question the other day about exercising the foot. Today the Physical Therapist added a new exercise to my program. First he had me stand on one foot for five seconds and then the other for five seconds doing a series of 10. After a while your foot gets a little wobble and moves all over as you try to maintain balance. Next he laid down a piece of foam rubber and had me balance on one foot for five seconds and then the other for a series of 10. Balancing on the foam rubber really does cause your foot to wobble in all directions working all muscles in the foot.I think at home you could use a foam pillow and achieve the same result. Really not that easy to do. Also started me on lunges which strengthen the glutes. Most of you are probably familar with these. I gave him a couple of the informational post that have been posted on the various massge methods.

Re: Exercising the foot

John from MN on 6/22/04 at 13:32 (153707)

That's is what Dr. Sandell has me do instead you stand on one foot for 3 minutes at a time. I started lunges only after 3 months of therapy. Keep in mind everyone is different and will need different exercises.