Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posted by LindaH on 6/23/04 at 18:09 (153789)

I had surgery April 29th to remove a heel spur. My podiatrist now thinks I have TTS and I am scheduled to see a neurologist. my question is how debilitating is this? I am currently unable to work and my job entails walking about 4 of 5 hours or more. Please advise. thank You

Pauline on 6/23/04 at 20:45 (153796)

From reading posts on this site from others TTS appears very debilitating. You may want to do a search and read some of them. I'm certain other will respond. A pain clinic may be the only good option for pain control at this point.

What is making me angry is that we are seeing more and more posts just like the one you wrote from others who underwent P.F. surgery and ended up with TTS.

For me personally, I see this connection far to often to be coincidental.
I've come to believe it's a direct complication to a surgery. Everyone has their own belief and I'm not saying that your doctor did anything wrong, but the question that I'd have for him is why and how did you develop TTS. You went in for spur removal and developed something far more serious. It certainly makes me wonder why especially since as I said earlier we've seen this type of post before.

I wish you the best of luck and hope that the neurologist you see says that you don't have it. No one needs TTS.

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/25/04 at 14:35 (153928)

You may have forgotten, but a couple of years ago I posted on this site expresssing amazement at the number of posters who have had dual diagnoses of PF and TTS but did not get much of a response. Here are some permutations:
1)The very few, rare cases where both exists somehow makes it to this site.
2)PF which appears to be intractable was never really PF but TTS to begin with.
3)PF surgery somehow predisposes on to TTS (not something I have seen in my experience).
4)TT surgery predisposes patients to PF.
5)TTS is being overdiagnosed as a cause of heel pain when PF release surgery fails.
My guess is that we are seeing a combination of 1, 2 and 5 on this site.

Dr. Z on 6/25/04 at 14:44 (153929)

#5 is my answer. I rarely see TTS

john king on 6/30/04 at 15:19 (154271)

Dr. Z

I really think you are right about this. My pod said TTS was quite rare but my workers compensation orthopod diagnosed me with TTS and wanted to do the surgery. I would not let him do this and since that time I have had no TTS symptoms just the damn PF. PF can burn and hurt really bad just like TTS.