Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does this sound like Cuboid Syndrome?

Posted by Kathy in Ky on 6/23/04 at 18:16 (153790)

I've been treated for PF & Tarsal Tunnel symptoms over the last 5 years. My lst step heal pain has evolved into overall pain when I step out of bed. Feels more like in the bones along right (outer side) of foot. My arch pain is not as strong as one year ago & I have been wearing Birks, orthotics, etc. Today I experienced a very sharp pain when walking across the floor (along the outer bone on the top of my right foot.) So sharp that I couldn't put my weight down to step & now it is extremely tender. I've had about 5 cortizone shots in that foot over the last few years & it makes a popping sound when I am doing my morning foot stretches. I did some internet searching to find the name of the bone or area of my foot. Has anyone had any problems with the Cuboid bone area of their foot? I just took some Tylenol to ease the pain & plan to rest it tonight. Does anyone have any advice?

Re: Does this sound like Cuboid Syndrome?

Lisa V. on 6/24/04 at 13:44 (153840)

I had something similar happen. It seemed that the PF pain on the bottom of my foot was getting better and then one day the top of my foot started hurting. When I went to the Dr. he said that because of the PF, everything else in my foot had gotten kind of 'loose' and the cuboid had slid to where it didn't belong. He popped it back to where it was supposed to be and I haven't had any problems with it since, but he said that it was possible that it would move againl.

Kathy in Ky on 6/24/04 at 14:43 (153846)

That sounds exactly how my foot feels. I took Bextra last night & rested my foot. As I did my foot stretches this morning I hear a loud pop & my foot felt better immediately. Of course today is my Pod.'s day off, but I plan to make an appointment to get it check out. Thanks for the info.

Jack I. on 7/05/04 at 12:38 (154536)

I developed similar pain in the heel region of my foot after stepping backwards off of a 2' high platform. The x-ray showed a 'subluxated cuboid bone' which has lead to impressive pain in front of my heel and a popping sound caused by the bone moving in & out of correct position with the flexion & extension of my toes. My foot MD applied a 'cuboid pad' located under the mid-outer region of my foot, and taped it for stability. It has been 8 weeks since the mishap and 3 weeks since treatment and it is slowly getting better..good luck!

Pauline on 7/05/04 at 23:00 (154572)

This site might help someone with Cuboid Syndrome.

Vince O on 7/09/06 at 15:29 (203490)

Triathlete, ankle sprain 2 years ago. Gradual reduction from 18 hrs of training per week to barely walking. Have had large squishy swelling over top of foot, cuboid area. Now can swim indefinately, run fairly well, but ankle/foot does not flex well. Biking is bad. Can't flex foot well and loss of power. Pain and stiffness improves after an hour of riding, but swelling and pain to touch on top of foot worse next day. DX as cuboid injury, peroneus ligament strain and y-ligament strain. Seen to ortho's and pod. Very frustrated can't train at high level and race. Help!

john h on 7/10/06 at 09:39 (203555)

Vince: one of the Docs will have to be on top of this but from my laymans perspective I would have an MRI or at the minimin a X-ray to look for a very tiny bone fracture. They sometimes will not show up on an x-ray and even a very tiny fracture can cause you all kinds of problem. They do not heal very well if you continue to use that foot the way you do.