Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Toe nail removal

Posted by Nate on 6/23/04 at 20:17 (153793)

Hasanyone had this procedure or a doctor that removes toe nails.

Does it hurt after oeration, for how many days?
If toenails grow on everybody's feet, how can they exist without them?

Re: Toe nail removal

Pauline on 6/23/04 at 20:28 (153794)

Don't have it removed unless it's absolutely necessary. Remember NO surgery unless it's necessary whether it's removing toenails or tonsils.

Nate on 6/23/04 at 20:34 (153795)

Pauline:

What do you mean by removal of the toe nail 'unless absolutely necessary'

At present my big toe nails are hard, almost not cutable because they are closely affixed to my big toe. Actually they hurt and are painful.

Thanks for your comments.

Pauline on 6/23/04 at 20:54 (153797)

Nate,
I'm just saying that you need to make certain prior to any surgery that no other options are available.

If you've done your homework, had at least one other opinion then you know your options. Often times people rush into surgery hoping to eliminate pain only to find out that it may not produce the results expected.

You need to know what this surgery consists of, what result you can expect, any complications that can occur and is there any other treatment for your condition but surgery.

In simple terms 'Know before you go'.

Dr. Z on 6/23/04 at 21:31 (153800)

IF you have ingrown toe nails and the nail is deformed then the only treatment is surgically removing the toe nail. IF you have fungus that is causing the problem lamisil is a very good option is very effective with a proper work up

john h on 6/24/04 at 12:09 (153825)

Dr. Z: Just how effective is Lamisil? 75%? What are the incidence of side effects? That laquer you gave me which cost about $75.00 for 1/16th of an ounce did not work. I think I concluded a 55 gallon drum would cost about a million dollars. Most insurance companies will not pay for that expensive stuff. that may be the most expensive product in the world..

john h on 6/24/04 at 12:10 (153826)

Sammy Sosa had his big toe nail removed and missed about one month of play last year. that must hurt.

john h on 6/24/04 at 12:14 (153827)

Sammy Sosa of the Cubs will darn sure say it hurts but if your great toe gets infected or really is badly ingrown that really hurts also. Dr Z will prescribe the most expensive drug/laquer in the world which is made in Germany. The container is about the size of marble and it cost $75.00. Cheaper to remove the toe.

Elyse B on 6/24/04 at 12:18 (153829)

John h, you are very, very funny.

Suzanne D. on 6/24/04 at 12:59 (153834)

You're right, John. Lamisil is very expensive and isn't covered by insurance as it's considered 'cosmetic'. I had to have both big toenails removed about four years ago due to toenail fungus. They grew back, but of course the fungus is back, too. My family dr. said, 'You finally have to decide if each toenail is worth about $800, and then it will come back in time'. So I deal with it as best I can. I can't afford that!

Suzanne :)

Dr. Z on 6/24/04 at 18:32 (153858)

Lamisil is very effective for fungus toe nails. The re-occurrence rate is about 30-40%. The cost is about $800-$1000. Side effects: must have healthy liver, kidney. I have seen rash and GI upset. John lets pull your toe nail off I will even supply the local anesthetic. The problem with topicals are that they take a very long time and work for mild to moderate infections.
If you have pain, infection and deformity the toe nail must go !!!. Johnny Z

Dr. Z on 6/24/04 at 18:34 (153859)

John it does cost a little more to remove the toe nail. I only left your on because I didn't want to ruin your foot looks

Dorothy on 6/24/04 at 19:50 (153864)

And we've all seen the photos of John H's feet so we are very appreciative, Dr. Z, of your consideration.

Just out of curiosity, what's a toenail removal go for these days?
(Just kidding)

I am (seriously now) curious about this whole fungus business that attacks human nails. Why? What does it 'live on'? Why the nails?
Suzanne said that removing hers did not cure the fungus because it returned with the new nail, so what's that about? How do people get fungus? How do they keep from getting it?
I never want to get it; does that make any difference??

Dorothy on 6/24/04 at 19:58 (153865)

To Suzanne -
About the fungus issue - do you remember when people here were saying that Vicks Vaporub was effective against nail fungus? Have you tried that?

I have such strong associations with Vicks Vaporub that just a whiff of it makes me sleepy. It was spread on the chests of my siblings and me and a piece of cotton flannel placed over it when we were sick with colds - or with most anything, as I recall - and we would sleep and be comforted.
I have never had a fungus on my chest, so there ya go!! :-)

I have read (Dr. Weil writes about this, in fact, and I like him) that Tea Tree Oil is effective against nail fungus but it takes awhile. I'm sporting a little dab of Tea Tree Oil right now on a little zit I've acquired. It has a most medicinal, pungent scent but not offensive.

Do you have any idea how you acquired a nail fungus? Are we like trees and this is just kind of like lichen on a tree? I have become very curious about this nail fungus business since so many people have it. Is it inevitable?? I've had hives; so am I exempt from fungus??

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/24/04 at 20:50 (153870)

Topicals can work if the liquid can penetrate deep enough to get to the fungus. Sometimes, a good 'trick' is to use just enough (the bare minimum) of the pills to clean out the deep tissues (nail bed and nail root) and then continue with topicals to finish the job. One must file the nails thin (use an emory board) in order to enhance penetration. Tea tree oil does work but, as Dorothy pointed out -- patience!! -- about 4 months needed.
Ed

Janice N on 6/24/04 at 22:36 (153876)

Last yr both my big toe nails fell off. I made the mistake of not listening to my feet when I went to the zoo. Funny I dont remember the zoo being so big before. Anyway my socks were kind of pulling at the toes and on top of this I had not worn my tennis type shoes in a long time. This is before I was diagnosed with PF. Well a few days later I looked down and my nails were black. They both fell off after a while and grew back within 6 months. They dont feel the same. Kind of sore and tender at times. I sure learned my lesson about stopping long enough to adjust my shoes and socks. And a bigger lesson of not walking bare footed with PF. One lesson I wish I had learned sooner. Now I cant stand to put my foot on the floor without slippers at least.

Suzanne D. on 6/25/04 at 07:14 (153888)

Hi, Dorothy. Here's a link which has a good explanation of toenail fungus, treatment, prevention, etc. I guess mine began a long time ago with tiny spots on each big toe which I did not realize were anything important. Then, like many things in life, by the time I realized it was serious, it had gone too far to be easily treated.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/invoke.cfm?objectid=74D7D49E-8563-4EA5-B3DC570459BE33E9&dsection=1

I have tried both the Vicks Vaporub and soaking in Listerine Mouthwash which I read about here. Perhaps I did not try either for long enough to really see results. I will say that when I used the Vicks, it was in the winter and one of my big toenails was causing pain when I wore shoes. After using that for about a month, the toe was no longer tender, and the pain was gone, so that was a relief! The pain has not returned. So perhaps a longer go of that would be worth a try.

Suzanne :)

john h on 6/25/04 at 11:52 (153911)

This article mentons Penalac that very expensive laquer Dr. Z prescribed for me. It cost $116.00 for 6.6ml. Now that is expensive. I have used Vicks and it is very good at making the nail soft and can improve appearance. I wonder why most nail fungus is only on the great toe? At least you ladies can place nail polish on your toes.

john h on 6/25/04 at 12:01 (153914)

Dorothy: As a small child I also had that great experience of Vicks on on a wool piece of cloth on my chest. You must be older than I thought???????

john h on 6/25/04 at 12:05 (153915)

there are certain bugs/bacteria that actually eat your skin pigment. when in Vietnam I begin to develop large splotches on my skin that were white. I had contacted some of these babies and if you do not go after them you could end up an albino. the doctor did something for me that eventually brought my color and pigmentation back. there are some real nasty problems in the tropics.

john h on 6/25/04 at 12:06 (153916)

Yes Dr.Z my toes have always been some of my high points. Thank you.

Pauline on 6/25/04 at 12:11 (153917)

John,
You can polish your toes too, just keep your socks on if you'd feel embarrassed in front of your old military guys. Polished nails, earrings, pierced nose what's the difference? Today we do our own thing. Isn't that it? Yours could be, wife willing, pink toenails.

Dorothy on 6/29/04 at 02:22 (154140)

John H. -

I'm very late posting as I have been away for a few days and not using a computer.

You said 'You must be older than I thought???????'

I dunno - how old did you think?????

I am this old - I was away because of a family emergency. Our oldest child and spouse had a miscarriage and their toddler needed some grandparenting. That would be us. I am a young grandparent, I guess, but not THAT young. Not THAT old either. I'm, shall we say, fifty-ish.
Is that older than you thought?? I think Vicks and cloth (wool, cotton) on the chest transcends age since we used it on our own young ones, too and they would not be older than you thought! I'm older than I thought, that's all I can say, and sometimes I'm a lot older than I thought. This weekend was a tough one and we all felt a little old, but all will be ok.
There are times when we wish we could put a little Vicks and nice piece of cloth on the chest and make everything feel better....
This was very early in the pregnancy, but the heart still hurts ~

char b on 3/05/06 at 06:23 (194873)

my doctor suggests removal of infected toenails, killing nail bed so new toenail doesn't grow in..any photos ? thank you

Bonnie B on 3/22/07 at 14:02 (225721)

Just wanted to share my experience of big toe nail removal. I had this done on Feb 6/07 as I had severe curvature of the nail and was to the point where I could hardly walk. I am as of now ( March 22/07 ) still not back to work. Actually I have developed osteomyelitis and now have a picc line insertion where I am receiving large doses of antibiotics 3 times daily with a pump. This has been an absolute nightmare. Homecare nurses come in daily to change the dressing and look after the picc line. I dont recommend this so called minor surgery with minimal risk of complications to anyone unless this is your last hope. If the 6 to 8 weeks of iv antibiotics dont work then the ortho surgeon has said possibly going back in and scraping the bone. Heres hoping the iv therapy works.

mr Zibber on 10/11/07 at 22:14 (237545)

Sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience. I had the unfortunate pleasure of breaking my big toe in Feb 2007, lost the nail and things were going alright. Then, about late August, the nail was almost fully grown back, it took a dive downward into my toe. I had the nail removed along with the nail bed. The entire procedure took 25 minutes. I actually went on my lunch break and went back to work. I soaked the foot twice a day in Iodine for two weeks and kept a bandaid during the day for first two weeks. After that, not a problem to be seen. I'm not a big advocate of surgeries either, but sometimes they are what's needed.

kathie on 11/05/07 at 00:20 (238982)

mr Zibber - thanks for your post! After reading Bonnie B's story, I was terrified of the prospect of toenail removal! I have had toenail fungus for years and just painted my toenails to cover it. At times in the past, I had tried Vick's, but was not consistent in my application. In the past 6 months or so, the toenail on my left, big toe has become severely infected and is entirely lifted off the nailbed. Since September (I'm afraid too late), I have tried daily 20-minute vinegar soaks for about a month and have been using Leucatin twice daily for the past month - no change. With sandal season over, I am in great pain as the lifted nail pushes on the shoe. After walking a alot over the weekend, I am seriously considering nail removal. I am thinking this is the only option because I don't believe the nail will return to its normal position with any other remedy. Does anyone have any thoughts or experience with this? Best to all of you and all of your toes...

robin on 11/12/07 at 23:04 (239384)

Hi, I actually found this site while trying to look for pics. of what to expect. I thought I might share my experience. I had the toenail on my big toe removed about 2 months ago. I went to my podiatrist and never fealt a thing. My boyfriend thought it was amusing that at the exact moment that she took it off I was laughing at an article I read. For the next 2 weeks, I simply soaked my foot in epsom salt and bandaged my toe. I have never had any pain, althougha few weird sensations, such as socks rubbing or the shower. I need to have my other toe done and am looking forward to it as I am now in pain from that one digging into my toe. My only advice is to definately go to a podiatrist. My friend had it done at her drs. office and she had alot of pain and aggrevation with hers.

Marie S on 1/31/08 at 06:35 (242611)

What happens if doctor recommends to remove the toe nail and treat it with Lamisil to get ride of the fungas? The fungas has spread all on my foot and I have severe dryness. Does it hurt to have the nail removed?

Kathi on 2/15/08 at 22:06 (243257)

I just had both my big toe nails permanently removed about 6 weeks ago because of severe fungas that even Lamisil did not cure. The procedure took about 20 mins total and my toes were very sore for about 2 weeks. Now 6 weeks later I can wear shoes with only some mild discomfort when I push into the toes. For the first 2 weeks I kept the toes completely bandaged changing the dressing daily, now I just put a bandaid over them during the day, and removing the bandaid at night. My Dr. stated that it usually takes about 3 months for skin to grow over the nail bed completely and harden kind of like a callus. Please consult a podiatrist if you want to have the nails removed or even to discuss other possible treatments.

Kayla on 4/14/08 at 08:47 (245816)

If anyone wants pictures of a toenail removal surgery go to this website http://www.pbase.com/lbliss/toenail2 . It is a very disgusting looking procedure. If you do not like blood DO NOT go to the website.

Carolyn B on 7/05/08 at 12:44 (248234)

I had my toenail removed 2 weeks ago and it still looks bad. Is that normal?

Evelyn J on 10/17/08 at 18:18 (251271)

I had my big toenail removed on August 27th and it got infected...This is the 17th of October and it's just starting to heal and scab over...My doctor recommended soaking it in warm water and viniger and put neosporyn on it...It's still red and ugly...I'm on my second round of anti-biotics...It's not that painful to have it removed but it's a big pain afterwards...

Dr. Z on 1/18/09 at 11:05 (254113)

I have hammer toes and hard, curved tonenails, resulting in ingrown toenails, which can't be cut short. Age 71. What are my options?

Shirley on 1/27/09 at 18:52 (254437)

I have a neuropoty and my big toe and second toe are affected. The big toe has a thick nail that is growing up making shoes very difficult. Can't get a pair that doesn't hurt and leaves me limping.

matt on 5/18/09 at 02:51 (257580)

I had both of my big toenails removed due to repeated ingrown toenails on both sides of the nails. And i was at school the next day, he must have had a rough doctor or something. Because my pain was manageable with tylenol.

denise on 7/07/09 at 13:22 (258690)

if your toe nail is attached and growing in the toe what choice do you have? Is this normal?

Jane D on 8/21/09 at 16:24 (259969)

Tea Tree Oil is inexpensive and works wonders, it is an anti-fungal ointment. Can be purchased at any health food store about 7 dollars a bottle, apply twice a day to clean nail after about 2 months surprise nail starts to look normal again