Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

is it possible...

Posted by Lori S. on 6/24/04 at 01:10 (153805)

to be painless enough to work a real job again?.. Sometimes I feel like this will never go away. Today I had to help my daughter and her friends in 4-H ( shes raising a dairy cow)... i was on my feet for 3 1/2 hours. Helping clean out a trailer( keeping water wars from happening.... )and now..... the rest of my day has been spent ..... doing little. Not because im tired. But because my feet are killing me. I pray that I have enough money for ESTW before State fair... or im going to be dying in pain trying to do all that we have to for that.....and it lasts 3 days.
Sorry...... to complain.... its just been a rough, painful day...... hopefully tomorrow will be better... I doubt it.. I have a tupperware party to do........ 3 to 4 hours on my feet........ another bad day...
anyways.........its time to find my pillow..... ice paacks/or heat...whichever will help tonight...... and a vicoprofen
Thanks for listening.......... Lorinda

Re: is it possible...

Suzanne D. on 6/24/04 at 06:34 (153808)

Welcome, Lori, to the board, and, yes, it is possible to be pain-free enough to work. We are glad you've posted here, and you can know that many, many people do understand your pain!

Have you read The Heel Pain Book here? (Just click on the words.) There is a wealth of information that can help you. What shoes are you wearing?

I hope you find treatments that help, Lori, and that you will begin to feel better soon. We've been there and understand!

Take care, and post again soon,
Suzanne :)

Kathy G on 6/24/04 at 10:06 (153816)

Oh, Lori, standing is the worst! Sometimes I think it would be easier to walk a mile than it is to stand for fifteen minutes!

Have you posted before? I know we had a couple of Lori's. Do you wear orthotics?

As Suzanne says, The Heel Pain Book, is terrific. And you can peruse the boards and find all kinds of information about what worked and didn't work for different people. You just have to come up with the best combination for you.

Good luck and hang in there!

Kathy G on 6/24/04 at 10:16 (153818)

I also meant to add that, if it's any consolation, many of us understand your comment about not doing anything because your feet hurt so much. It's one of the more frustrating aspects of PF and lately, I can relate. My feet seem to be in a flare-up period and I'd forgotten how hard it is to listen to them and stay off of them.

We've finally had some good weather here in NH and it's been a long time coming. One day last week, I so wanted to go for a walk or work in the yard but my feet hurt so much, I couldn't do it. It was beautiful out and I had all this energy! It was so frustrating. Of course, had I not overdone it the prior few days, I might have been able to take that walk but my feet didn't 'bounce back' the way they have been for the last year or so.

It reminded me of the days that you sound like you're experiencing, when rest seems to be the best remedy, despite how much you'd like to be active. Sometimes I wish I wasn't cursed with all this energy but then it seems that people without energy don't get PF as often!

I hope you get some relief before State Fair.

marie on 6/24/04 at 10:30 (153820)

It's sounds like you have had a frustrating day! If you can try to stay off your feet as much as possible. I'm certainly no expert but many of the folks who post here have healed much quicker when they have rested their feet.

I love the county fairs! How did your daughter do? Those 4h kids work so hard (so do their parents).

best wishes marie

Lori S. on 6/25/04 at 01:19 (153883)

State fair is in Reno, the end of August. Last year at state she took Reserve Grand Champion.... her first year in. and the kid who took Grand was a 17 year old FFA kid. We have alot of fun.......... its more of a family thing,,,,, than just my daughters thing...
Thanks .... Lorinda

Lori S. on 6/25/04 at 01:48 (153884)

Thanks Kathy....
I havent posted to this board. But i have to ask the Docs. I have read Scotts heelpain book. I have PF in both feet, had achilles tendonitis in the beginning, but stretching has helped that. I have also been seeing a podiatrist for ... like almost 2 years. Things we have tried to no avail include: ibuprofen, icing, stretching, Physical therapy,cortizone injections in both feet(helped for about 3 1/2 months) regular orthotics and custom orthotics( which only made things worth in both cases), taping, shoes, I bought New Balances after reading on this board, and all I can say is...... ouch. The only shoe I can really wear is Birks... tho I just found Bass shoes and let me tell you.......they are wonderful as well. I love my birks, but its nice to wear something else once in awhile. I tried these gel inserts from the fair($40), I have even tried magnetic bracelets on my ankles. I have given in to taking pain meds when I cant stand it anymore. I am also taking Glucosamine(sp?) because a friend swears it will help. My podiatrist doesnt want to do surgery until we have tried ESTW because I have been so unresponsive to everything Surgery is a very last thing he wants to do.
Does anyone else notice its worse if a cold front goes through? I went into my docs two weeks ago and begged him to do anything.... our weather has been crazy here... cooler than normal. Lot of cold fronts up until this last week. The last one.... I was up until 2am...crying.....my feet hurt so bad, I walk funny, then my legs and back start.... had to take 1500 mg vicoprofen, elevate my feet and put heat on them before I could sleep.
I miss the gym. I miss being able to walk around the block, I miss being without pain. I know,,,, everyone here feels the same at one time or another. And I try to remember things could be worse. Some days its just hard.
Anyways, I live in northern Nevada, married , 3 kids, 2 dogs, and am thankful I live where I do. If i lived in Humidity and cold....I dont think I would be walking. I fear winter. I am afraid it will put me in a wheelchair. Hopefully I will have saved enough for ESTW by then.

Thanks for listening...and thanks to all who post here. This is a great site for information, as well as support..

Necee on 6/25/04 at 08:07 (153890)

Yes Lori, it is possible to live and work without pain....I'm living proof of that. I suffered for almost 2 years, when I started wearing Birks is when I began to get relief. It takes time, this is something that won't go away over night, so hang in there, and keep doing what your doing....you're headed in the right direction. My advice to you is.....don't ever have surgery! I've talked to too many people who went that route, and the results were disasterous.

All the best.

Kathy G on 6/25/04 at 08:24 (153892)

Lots of people have said that the weather seems to affect their feet. For me, it's the hot weather that seems to make them worse.

Have you tried Julie's Yoga Stretches? They really helped my achilles tendonitis.

I'm glad that your Birks help and hopefully, so will ESWT. It's a shame that they couldn't modify your orthotics so that they'd help you. I can't walk without mine. I wear them in running shoes because Birks hurt my back.

You have a busy life and I know what you mean about wishing you could get back to the gym. Here's hoping everything works out for you.

marie on 6/25/04 at 10:29 (153907)

I teach in a neighboring rural farm community. We close school one day so that the kids can show their livestock. I usually put their art work up at the fair along with all the other art teachers in the county. The kids just love it. 4h is a great activity for kids to be involved with.

Hope you're feeling better.

john h on 6/26/04 at 11:42 (153986)

Marie: When I was in the 7th grade in rural North Carolina we had Field Day once a year. Probably a third of the kids broght (rode) their pony or horse to school and one of the events was a horse or pony race. No I did not have a pony so just watched. The law at that time required children to attend school until age 16 regardless of what grade you were in. It was very common not to pass then. We lost about 25% of our students when they reached age 16 to work on the family farm.

marie on 6/27/04 at 10:36 (154018)

It was like that here too. Most farm kids never got past the 8th grade. All that was required was 8th grade. Some kids stayed in until they were 16 but never got past the eighth grade because by the time they were 13 they were out of school more then they were in helping with the farm or family business.

I know that tidbit because of the research done by one of our local teachers. He passed away Friday so I guess it's still just on my mind.

Re: trying ..

Lori S. on 7/05/04 at 01:21 (154512)

To AVOID surgery. I have read here enough to know its not what I want. The odds are not very good. I will have ESTW as soon as I have enough money.
Thank you for your input tho........