Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Post Surgery "Shoes"

Posted by Dee C on 6/24/04 at 14:48 (153847)

Had PF Release surgery on left foot and Tailor's bunion surgery on right foot at the end of May,'04. Are there any other shoes I can wear that are a little more 'presentable' than the post surgery 'shoes' with the velcro straps that I got from the Dr.? I know I'm recovering slowly and know I have a long time to go and only go out to store occasionally with husband pushing me in wheelchair or crutches at the Dr.'s; but would love to know what other people do after surgery.

Re: Post Surgery "Shoes"

Dee C on 7/12/04 at 14:51 (155197)

Thanks, Nick, but the shoes you suggested sounded a bit hot, and here in SoCal it's getting pretty warm. It's been 6 weeks now and still have pain putting left foot down and use one crutch when I go somewhere. Other foot just swollen and still can't fit most shoes. Tailor Bunionectomy on Right, PF release on left. My Dr. doesn't like Birkenstocks. Says a higher heel lift is better (slight wedge). I have Ecco 3-velcro strap sandals from pre surgery times that I use sometimes but need something for walking a bit longer. I'm so swollen from the bunionectomy still. My feet are normally B width but not now on the little toe area. Can you suggest a tennis type shoe orthotics will fit in that won't kill me. Right now I have Reebok Premier cushioning running shoe that I can't go far in. Have to take a vicodin before I go out in any shoe. What do you think of Birkenstocks?

Nick, C.Ped on 7/13/04 at 15:21 (155338)

I do not really like the birks for your type of foot either, (personal opinion). Sandals are a good idea for accomodating the swelling you have going on but if you need a tennis type shoe to be a little more walking oriented Brooks makes A number of Depth athletic shoes that will work well with your orthotics. Another (maybe better) option would be from a company called DREW, they only make one style of athletic shoe, and it only comes black or white, but it is a good stable depth shoe that will work really well your orthotics and your other needs.

Dee C on 7/14/04 at 16:37 (155443)

Thanks so much for answering me before I made another expensive shoe mistake. I will check out Brooks ( an old favorite running shoe of mine years ago). The Reeboks felt so good pre-surgery but no more. Will also look into DREW. Thank you again for answering me.