Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Neurontin when will i feel relief?

Posted by J Martello on 6/25/04 at 18:16 (153935)

I just started neurontin 300mg at one pill a day. I have been on it for about 5 days now and i do not notice any relief. Should i notice some relief immediately or does it take a couple of weeks to make a difference?

Thanks for any advice.

Re: Neurontin when will i feel relief?

Jo B. on 6/25/04 at 19:46 (153941)

J,
You may need to see about increasing the dosage you are taking. I have taken 900 & 1200 mg. a day (3 or 4 pills). I've heard of people even taking more than that, though 900mg. seemed sufficent for me, 1200mg. made me a little too forgetful so the dr. backed it down.

Good luck!
Jo B.

Re: Neurontin when will i feel relief?

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/25/04 at 22:29 (153950)

John:
Jo is correct about the dosing issue BUT Neurontin is mainly for nerve pain. Based on what you have told us, TTS was not a major issue in your situation. Keep us posted as to what effects you have.

Ed

Re: Dr Edward Davis DPM

John Martello on 6/27/04 at 07:13 (154011)

Dr ED,

If I have NO NUMBNESS OR TINGLING OR SHOOTING TYPE PAIN OR BURNING IS NEURONTIN not worth taking? As I said before I have MRI documented FHL tenosynovitis with a NCV test showing minimal irritation to the post tib nerve. Also like i siad in previous posts my pain is a deep consatnt aching pain that is localized to the inner ankle below the medial malleous. I've had 2 cortisone injcetions back in November of last year, would it be risky to try another one?

Thanks John

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/28/04 at 22:42 (154133)

John:
It just does NOT sound like TTS is the main factor. It may not be a bad idea just to try Neurontin as a 'test.' If it works, then the nerve is implicated; if it does not, then I would tend to move away from TTS release.
Ed

John Martello on 6/29/04 at 17:57 (154172)

Dr ED

Wouldn't the doctor need to do a tarsal tunnel release to get to and do a tenosynovectomy of the fhl and fdl tendons?