Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Arch support in my walking cast???

Posted by AngelaC on 6/26/04 at 20:30 (154005)

Would it be a good or bad idea to put a Dr. Scholl's Advantage arch support (over the counter) in my walking cast? After about 9 months, I was starting to get good, really good, improvement in my plantar fasciitis,but then got sesamoiditis. I continued to avoid pf surgery, but did choose to have, hammertoe surgery, thinking that it might knock out one of my foot problems and make me rest my foot a bit longer. At the first post-op visit, I found out that I had a stress fracture, and away went my surgical shoe, and out came a walking cast velcro shoe. Here's my question. I am very paranoid about losing any of my gains in pf improvement. This walking cast does not have much support in the arch. Actually, none. I don't have my regular orthotics, because those were taken to have some adjustments made. I just don't want to walk around for 3 weeks or so in a barefoot-like manner with no arch support, and start over. So I bought a pair of OTC arch supports, and it does feel good in the walking cast, but am I messing up what the walking cast is suppose to do in terms of shifting weight away from the 2nd metatarsal fracture? Thanks for any help with this; you have all been lifesavers!!!!

Re: Arch support in my walking cast???

Richard, C.Ped on 6/28/04 at 07:56 (154068)

We have filled prescriptions for custom orthotics to walking casts before. I would check with the doc to make sure it would be ok.

It is going to take three weeks to have the adjustments made?? That burns me up everytime I hear that.

Re: Arch support in my walking cast???

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/28/04 at 22:45 (154134)

That is why I am not a big fan of the various removable casts for PF. I feel that with the good old fashioned molded casts we can place the foot in any position needed. For example, when casting for PF, I often will supinate the rearfoot and pronate the forefoot, far more than with an orthotic becasue we have the full support of the cast to offset the overcorrection.