Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Physical Therapy

Posted by john king on 6/27/04 at 08:42 (154014)

Has anyone had success with PT for PF? My pod sent me to a physical therapist who seems to know what she is doing but I have my doubts since I have had this condition for many years.

Re: Physical Therapy

Janice N on 6/27/04 at 15:22 (154038)

I haven't gone to one yet but I am seriously thinking about it.

Steve G on 6/27/04 at 15:36 (154040)

As part of an overall treatment plan, it might help. However, on my years on the board I don't recall anyone saying that they were cured with PT. Truth is that if you have been on the board for a while, you know as much or more about PF than the therapist. I talked about PF with a physical therapist I was seeing for my back, and it was clear that he spent the vast majority of his time dealing with backs, knees and hips. He went through some of the standard stretches, but he did not have anything to add to what I already knew.

Janice N on 6/27/04 at 21:42 (154060)

My sister is a PT. And they do see mostly back, hips, knee problems. I wonder how often those with PF are refered for PT? Just like all other chronic problems it usually is just a temporary fix. I took some PT about three yrs ago for a Siatica problem and glad I did. My attitude was oh it won't last for long if it does any good. But it did. And sometimes when you have been in pain for as long as us any help is good.

lauriel on 6/28/04 at 13:13 (154087)

I have had a lot of PT over the years for various things. When Ihad my TTS sugery, it really helped helped for the first few months, but then I it wasnt beneficial any more. My personal expereince with PT is they are not very hands on which I think needs to happen in pF, they do the sonic thing, ice, stretch. From everything I have reading up on here is sounds like massage works the best, so If you can find a PT that can do deep tissue massage like ethe various techniques posted here, may be your best bet.

Laurie

Janice N on 6/28/04 at 19:17 (154106)

I had a friend who was going to her bank for some business. She was approached by this chiropractor group for a free exam. Need I go on? Well all of a sudden she had all these problems that needed fixing. So I said well you never complained of any pain or problems in all the ten yrs I have known you. So thy set her up for months of treatment. Plus they had a PT on staff so set her up for that too. How they did it I never know. Because when you are on Medicare you get approved for a month of treatment. And it takes alot of documenting to get treatments continued. With chiropractor you only get adjustments paid for. Any way she went for months. And still I never heard her complain of pain. And she was not one to keep suffering to herself. I am talking the long way around this. What she told me was she got very little hands on care. A machine that did the massaging was put on her.Threw a hot pack on her. Could have done all that at home. So when I was having a bad flair of acute siatica pain I though well if I go to PT they wll do the same. But it wasnt the case. I went to a hopital PT depart. and received some hands on massage and instructions on exercises. Plus the ultrasound and hot pack. And I got alot of relief for a long time. I am thinking though with it being my feet I would want to find a PT who knows what they are doing or why bother with it. Sorry this was so long.

Rose on 6/30/04 at 22:21 (154300)

I had wonderful results in physical therapy with the deep tissue massage. It is very painful att he time but very healing and lasting. I really recommend deep tissue massage as hard as you can take it.