Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Tarsal tunnel release surgery

Posted by Barbara on 6/27/04 at 14:09 (154029)

Hello,
I recently (3 weeks ago) had surgery for tarsal tunnel syndrome. After suffering with this condition for 4 years and visiting with 5 MDs, I was so anxious for some relief. My question is: how long does it take to feel total relief from this surgery? or do you ever have total relief?
My doctor tells me he released varicose veins and fatty tissue away from the nerves on both feet. Also says there was no damage to the nerves but some scarring and he 'teased' that away. I am not a good patient and wonder approximately how long this burning and pain in the ball of my feet will last? I am taking Vicodin for the pain and the incisions look very good ...with no pain there. Thank you. Any kind words will help!!

Re: Tarsal tunnel release surgery

Terri on 6/27/04 at 16:21 (154044)

Barbara, I'm not a dr, but am a TTS sufferer as well. You may want to check out the TTS message board also if you haven't already.

I think the dr's here will agree with me on the point that we all heal at different rates and it's been known for a TTS surgical patient to take from 7 months up to a year to really feel the majority of their improvement. Some less, some more. The good news from your post is it seems there was no nerve damage done. Meanwhile be sure you keep your feet elevated and use that ice!

As the nerves start to settle down again after being manipulated during surgery (they REALLY hate that!!) you'll feel pains here and there in different areas and at different times. It may last a day, a week, a month and then something new might be added. Just be patient and don't push yourself! I'm 6 months post-op myself and it seems I'm as good as I'm gonna get but then I had some complications (see my post further down this page). Good luck to you Barbara!

Marty from SLC on 6/28/04 at 12:56 (154085)

Barbara,

I'm not a doctor and can only tell you about myself. Hey I'm curious if you had burning in the ball of my foot before surgery? I had none and when the pain killer wore off after surgery the ball of my foot was screaming!!!! It's just now starting to settle down and it's been like a year and half since my surgery.

I would be sure you don't over due it and possibly in 7 to 8 months months you'll see much improvement but will not be 100% for some time after that.

Good Luck,

Marty

Ed Davis, DPM on 6/28/04 at 13:10 (154086)

Barbara:
Seven months is the time to see the final results of the surgery although some start feeling releif sooner.
Ed