Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question regarding Arizona Birks with Soft foot bed

Posted by dud on 6/27/04 at 14:56 (154035)

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on buying a pair of Arizona Birks with the Soft foot bed. I have some questions for anyone who has these...

My wife and I are going on vacation in a few weeks. We will be doing a little walking while we are there. Are these shoes comortable enough to walk in? (Instead of my tennis shoes).

I noticed they do not have a back strap. Does the shoe 'flip' up and down when you walk..or does it mold enough to your foot so it doesn't slide?

Is the soft foot bed 'better' than the regular? That might be a personal preference..but the soft bed felt really good on my feet!!

Thanks!!

Re: Question regarding Arizona Birks with Soft foot bed

Carole C in NOLA on 6/27/04 at 21:15 (154059)

I don't have the soft footbed, but I do have Arizonas.

On me, the shoe doesn't 'flip' up and down when I walk (I know what you mean, though). They kind of stay positioned, floating right near the sole of my foot when I lift the foot up.

I think that if the soft foot bed felt good, then you got the right footbed. When I tried them both on at the same time, the normal footbed felt better to me and the soft foodbed felt too 'squishy'. That's just individual preference.

I would take along some good, supportive tie-up shoes on your vacation, just in case. I do a lot better walking long distances in my New Balance 991 running shoes, than I do in my Arizonas. But the Arizonas are great for wearing around the house, and on short trips to the store or to work, and so on. I think that having my Birkenstocks helped me in recovering from PF.

Hope this helps!

Carole C

Rose on 6/28/04 at 21:10 (154123)

Yes, I would go for the athletic shoes for anything outside of the house for any distance. That is what my feet like.

JenniferL on 6/29/04 at 21:19 (154185)

Ditto on that. Birks are better for hanging out in and standing a little, not so much for walking.

Marcia R on 6/30/04 at 16:01 (154277)

I live in my Birks. I love the soft foot bed and it will mold to your foot just like the regular foot beds do. I would bring a back up shoe until you are secure with your birks but I can tell you that I thought my life was over 8 years ago when the pain was constant. Once I switched to Birkenstocks I have been pain free. The only time I have issues now is when I forget and go barefoot for any length of time.

RACHAEL T. on 6/30/04 at 22:03 (154299)

Marcia - you give all of us Birkies hope as orthotics sometimes - just don't 'feel good!' I am hopeful that your painless days after long term wearing of birks follows thru to some of us other Birkies! Thanks for adding more hopes!

dud on 7/01/04 at 09:45 (154314)

Thanks to everyone for replying. I bought the Birks two days ago and have been wearing them for about 30 min each night. They are getting more and more comfortable with every time I wear them. I am hoping they work their magic!!

AndyO on 7/12/04 at 15:14 (155202)

I have a high arch version much like the Arizona. Good for light duty walking only. Yes, they are loose on the foot and mine occasionally slip off.
For serious walking, look at the Footprints series of shoes, or try a sandal/clog with a tighter fit or with a backstrap. Be aware that the Footprints shoes have less arch support than the Arizona sandal.