Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone tried Deep water running

Posted by dud on 6/29/04 at 14:11 (154160)

My PF has not allowed me to jog for nearly 18 months and my cardiovascular fitness has taken a bit hit. I am thinking about taking up deep water running..where you put on a belt which keeps you afloat and you simulate running.

Has anyone tried this? And if so do you recommend any of the water belts?

Re: Anyone tried Deep water running

Pauline on 6/29/04 at 14:51 (154161)

Yes it works great. I purchased and use the same type of belt that is used at many physical therapy centers. It was rather costly but a good performer. Here is the phone number 1-800 728-4152 or (405) 787-2266.
The name of the item I purchased is called Aqua Belt. It's a trademark name.

There are many others out there too that you select. It's fun. I think you should try it.

dud on 6/29/04 at 15:01 (154162)

Thanks for the help Pauline. But..I tried those two numbers and neither of them worked. I was excited because I live in the 405 area code..but that number was disconnected. The 1-800 number is a fax number.

Is this 'Aqua Belt' the same or similar to the 'aquajogger' http://www.aquajogger.com/ .

I am really excited about starting this. I am ready to get back into shape and hopefully this will help!!

Thanks for your help!!

Pauline on 6/29/04 at 15:18 (154163)

They are probably similar. Mine came in sizes according to waist measurements and it doesn't have the higher back. The higher back could help you to remain upright so that's a plus. You might want web gloves as well. They add more resistance moving through the water and work your arms. Check them out too.

It's not jogging but it's fun and you'll get tired. Alter the pace and do jumping jacks along with other exercises for cross training. The P.T. I worked with used to have me run in place too. Similar to football exercises legs wide like in and out of tires, then narrow and very fast.

Make up your own and go to town. Sorry about the numbers. I didn't try them before I posted just took them off the belt.

Pam S. on 7/01/04 at 20:46 (154356)

I have been doing the aqua jogging all winter long and still doing it. I bought my aqua jogger at a sports store that specializes in swim gear. I just love doing this. I really think it has contributed to my healing also. I am not perfect but alot better.

This is a great way to stay in shape and burn calories. I also bought water weights. Sometimes I take off the aqua jogger and just stay up using the weights. You can invent all sorts of things to do. I pretend I am a ballerina....you name it. Anything to ward off the boredom!!!
Good luck and I think we have discussed this previously if you want to do a search. I think I posted the name of my aqua jogger. pam

Anne L on 7/04/04 at 02:00 (154478)

Please see my post under Treatments / Symptoms / Products.