Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Second Treatment

Posted by Elyse B on 6/30/04 at 14:06 (154261)

well I saw my version of Dr. Sandell today for my second treatment. She saw me for three hours. We started off with an elecotronic stim machine again not the regular type but one that has a stronger voltage. That was to warm up my feet and calf muscles. She then put hot compresses on my feet. Then she STARTED. I do have to say that unlike Dr. Sandell she believes that Graston targets scar tissue more precisely than transverse friction massage. That is her opinion and who knows? I am happy that she has been very open to all the postings from Dr. Sandell etc. and is willing to listen to that. I do have to say that the treatment feels very, very aggressive and it is hard to figure out that this will actually make you feel better. She tells me she is not even being that aggressive because she does not 'believe' in that kind of aggressive treatment. Adding more pain to pain and it would be difficult to tell where one stops and the other starts. She then continued doing the Graston on my calf muscles and achilles. She then did several adjustments to my feet, hips, back and neck. She then taped my feet to keep the work she did in 'check' until the next visit.

I do have to admit that my feet are really, really sore. I have no particular instructions to walk like Dr. Sandell suggests. Frankly I am very afraid of doing that until I am pain free or at least with less discomfort. I think I walk enough around Manhattan that it 'counts.'

Like Goose I have concerns that my feet could get worse but I think it might be too soon to tell.

In any case, will keep you posted am going again on Friday.

Elyse

Re: Second Treatment

John from MN on 6/30/04 at 14:33 (154266)

If your feet are inflamed make sure to ice. This will help the healing process and make your next treatment less painful. I would not walk yet. Let the scar tissue heal more. If you feel a burning sensation when you walk stop immediatly.

Elyse B on 6/30/04 at 14:58 (154269)

thanks John, I have been trying to ice eveyr few hours. I am not going to walk yet. Thanks for your advice.

Dorothy on 6/30/04 at 15:43 (154276)

Elyse - We are keeping the good thoughts for your getting benefits from this experience (maybe eventually making the pain/discomfort tolerable).
Does your doctor say that the way you are feeling during/after treatments is the norm and that you can expect to feel better eventually, in spite of the current discomfort? Well, I hope you are feeling better soon.

Elyse B on 6/30/04 at 16:43 (154281)

yes she said it would be uncomfortable that is why she would prefer to be 'less agressive' with the treatment so that it is not uncomfortable when I leave there. It is not that awful. I think that is why should would prefer less treatments per week than 3 per week. But we shall see and I will keep you posted. I think ice should help.